Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Two K6 Telephone Kiosks, Lower Ward, Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh LB28012

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
21/12/1989
Last Date Amended
15/11/2019
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25229 73468
Coordinates
325229, 673468

Description

A pair of K6 telephone Kiosks, located to the north of Edinburgh Castle Gatehouse within the Lower Ward. The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the coronation of King George V in 1935.

The K6 kiosk is constructed of cast-iron sections, bolted together on a concrete base. In form the kiosks are four sided rectangular boxes with a domed roof. Three sides of the kiosks are glazed with eight rows of three panes of glass, a wide central pane and two outer, narrow panes. The back panel has a blank, moulded panel conforming to the dimensions of the windows and cable holes on either side of the foundry plate at the foot of the kiosks. Above the main body of the kiosks are plain entablature, set back from the front of the kiosks. The entablature carries a rectangular slot for signage, with trim moulding. Set into the slot is an illuminated telephone sign. There are ventilation slots below the signage slot. The roofs of the kiosks are domed, formed by segmental pediments, with a convex moulded edge. The pediments carry a moulded Royal Crown.

Statement of Special Interest

The K6 kiosk was commissioned by the General Post Office (GPO) in 1935 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V. The GPO ask Sir Giles Gilbert Scott to design a kiosk that could be rolled out across the country with ease as previous versions (the K2 and K3) had attractive designs but proved difficult to mass produce. The K6 was launched in 1936 and 8,000 kiosks were installed as part of the 'Jubilee Concession'. A year later was the 'Tercentenary Concession' marking the 300th year anniversary of the Post Office, through which a further 1,000 kiosks were installed over a period of 12 years with local authorities paying a subscription of £4. By 1960 there were 60,000 examples across the United Kingdom, however, after this the GPO looked to modernise and began looking at replacement styles.

The architect who designed the K6 telephone boxes was London born Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880–1960). Scott came from a family of architects, with his father, grandfather, uncle and brothers all within the same profession. He was noted for his blending of traditional and modernist architectural styles. He was responsible for designing many important buildings including Battersea Power Station, Bankside Power Station (now the Tate modern) and the new Waterloo Bridge.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2019. Previously listed as 'EDINBURGH CASTLE, 2 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSKS AT GATEHOUSE'.

References

Bibliography

Stamp G (1989). Telephone Boxes (Chatto Curiosities of the British Streets). Random House, London

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Edinburgh Castle

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/edinburgh-castle

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. EDINBURGH CASTLE, ST MARGARET'S CHAPELLB48228

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  2. EDINBURGH CASTLE, UNITED SERVICES MUSEUMLB48231

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  3. EDINBURGH CASTLE, VAULTSLB48232

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  4. EDINBURGH CASTLE, PORTCULLIS GATE AND ARGYLE TOWERLB48227

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  5. EDINBURGH CASTLE, FOOG'S GATELB48217

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  6. EDINBURGH CASTLE, MILITARY PRISONLB48222

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Removed
  7. EDINBURGH CASTLE, NEW BARRACKSLB48224

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  8. EDINBURGH CASTLE, BATTERIES, INCLUDING ARGYLE, DURY'S, FOREWALL, HALF-MOON, AND WESTERN DEFENCESLB28010

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  9. EDINBURGH CASTLE, GATEHOUSELB48218

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  10. Memorial to the 72nd Highlanders, Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, Edinburgh LB48237

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (C)
    Status
    Designated
  11. Edinburgh Castle/Caisteal Dhùn ÈideannSM90130

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated
  12. Duke of York Statue, Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, EdinburghLB27883

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Designated
  13. EDINBURGH CASTLE, PALACE BLOCKLB48226

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  14. Monument to Colonel Mackenzie, Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, EdinburghLB48257

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Designated
  15. Memorial to the Scottish Horse, Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, EdinburghLB48239

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (C)
    Status
    Designated
  16. THE NEW TOWN GARDENSGDL00367

    Designation Type
    Garden & Designed Landscape
    Status
    Designated
  17. EDINBURGH CASTLE, ESPLANADELB28011

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  18. EDINBURGH CASTLE, GOVERNOR'S HOUSELB48219

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  19. EDINBURGH CASTLE, LANG STAIRSLB48221

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Removed
  20. EDINBURGH CASTLE, NATIONAL WAR MUSEUM OF SCOTLAND (FORMER HOSPITAL AND ORDNANCE STORE), INCLUDING SENTRY BOXES AND URNSLB48223

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Removed
  21. EDINBURGH CASTLE, OLD GUARDHOUSE, INCLUDING INNER BARRIERLB48225

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Removed
  22. EDINBURGH CASTLE, SCOTTISH NATIONAL WAR MEMORIALLB48229

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  23. Memorial to the 78th Highlanders, Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, EdinburghLB48238

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Designated
  24. EDINBURGH CASTLE, GREAT HALLLB48220

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  25. Statue of Earl Haig, Hospital Square, Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh LB27860

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (B)
    Status
    Designated

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Two K6 Telephone Kiosks, Lower Ward, Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/12/2019 04:41