The monument comprises all the buildings and other structures, wells, fortifications, street furniture, historic plaques, roadways, yards, and other open spaces that form Edinburgh Castle.
1. The courtyard known as Crown Square with its surrounding buildings
- the Palace on the East including vaults (remodelled in its present form c.1617); Great Hall on the South including vaults (built c.1510; restored c.1890); Queen Anne Building on the West including vaults (built c.1710; remodelled as Military Museum c.1930); Scottish National War Memorial (built as barracks c.1755; remodelled 1927).
2. The area above Foog's Gate known as the Citadel, encircled by artillery fortifications of various periods from the 15th to the 17th centuries, and including - St Margaret's Chapel (built c.1120; restored c.1850); David's Tower beneath the Half Moon Battery (built c.1370; largely destroyed 1573); Water Tanks and Fire Station (built c.1750; remodelled and extended c.1880).
3. The area below the Citadel including - Drill Hall (built 1900); Military Prison (built c.1842; heightened and extended c.1880); New Barracks (built c.1796); Governor's House (built 1742); Ordnance Storehouses (built c.1755; heightened and extended to form a Hospital c.1895); Cart Shed (built 1746; extended as a restaurant 1992); Portcullis Gate (built c.1575; heightened 1886); Guardroom and Cells (built c.1855; remodelled and deepened as a shop 1990); Gatehouse (built 1887); Esplanade (created c.1755; remodelled c.1820); Wellhouse Tower (built c.1362).
The area to be scheduled is irregular, including all of the above features and an area around them in which traces of activities associated with the Castle, such as outer fortifications, siege works or temporary workshops, may survive. The area to be scheduled measures a maximum of 500m WSW-ENE by 255m transversely, as marked in red on the accompanying map.