The monument comprises the remains of Carsluith Castle, surviving as a substantial stone structure, along with the courtyard area to the front. The monument is in the care of Historic Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Ministers. Carsluith, now beside the A75, stands on a promontory in a commanding position overlooking Wigton Bay to the south, and protected by a natural ravine to the east. The reason for this rescheduling is that no adequate documentation can be traced from the time of the original scheduling in 1921.
At first glance the castle appears to be one of the many L-plan tower houses built by the landed gentry in the years soon after the Reformation in 1560. Its building history however, is more complex, with a probable origin around 1500, as a simple oblong tower owned by the Cairns family, with an original stair within the thickness of the north-west corner. The projecting stair-tower jamb was added around 1568, when the new owners, the Brouns, decided to mark their arrival with a programme of improvements. The arms of the Brouns are carved on a panel above the entrance.
The tower house had four storeys of accommodation, with the hall on the first floor. The addition of the stair tower increased the accommodation and improved circulation within the house. Other improvements at this time included alterations to the battlements, and the construction of a timber gallery on the outside of the north wall, entered from the laird's private apartments on the second floor of the main block. The corbels for this are still visible. The top floor provided additional private chambers. The west jamb of the door leading from the farm court to the castle incorporates a fragment of a medieval grave slab.
Carsluith stayed with the Brouns until 1748, when the estate was sold to Alistair Johnston. The lands passed through several hands before coming into State care in 1913.
The absence of a kitchen within the tower, along with the need for the provision of other ancillary buildings, highlights the archaeological importance of the present courtyard area to the north of the Castle. In this context, the tower itself only represents one half of the picture of the lordly complex. An enclosed barmkin is likely to have existed here, with ranges of buildings including a kitchen and possibly an outer great hall, necessary for the execution of estate business and for entertaining on a more lavish scale. The location of these buildings is now occupied by standing farm steading structures, which do not form part of the scheduling.
The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described, together with the open courtyard to the north-east. The area proposed for scheduling is larger than that of the property in the care of Historic Scotland. The area is sub-rectangular on plan with maximum dimensions of 33m NE-SW by 22m E-W, as marked in red on the attached map. The modern fences are excluded from the scheduling, as are the upper 250mm of all surfaced paths, yards and garden ground.
The monument is recorded by RCAHMS as NX45SE1.
Brann J 2001, ?Carsluith Castle, Dumfries and Galloway (Kirkmabreck parish), watching brief?, DISCOVERY EXCAV SCOT, 2, 2001, 26-27.
RCAHMS 1914, FIFTH REPORT AND INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN GALLOWAY, II, COUNTY OF THE STEWARTRY OF KIRKCUDBRIGHT, Edinburgh, HMSO, 151-4, No. 282.
Stell G 1996, EXPLORING SCOTLAND?S HERITAGE: DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY, Exploring Scotland's Heritage Series, Edinburgh, 113, 2nd ed.
Tranter N 1962-70, THE FORTIFIED HOUSE IN SCOTLAND, Edinburgh, Vol. 3, 107-8.
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
Find out more
Former steading pavilions flanking Carsluith Castle, including L-plan building to northwest, excluding Scheduled Monument SM90062, Carsluith LB10104
- Designation Type
- Listed Building (C)
About Scheduled Monuments
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Scheduling is the way that a monument or archaeological site of national importance is recognised by law through the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.
We schedule sites and monuments of national importance using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The description and map showing the scheduled area is the legal part of the scheduling. The additional information in the scheduled monument record gives an indication of the national importance of the monument(s). It is not a definitive account or a complete description of the monument(s). The format of scheduled monument records has changed over time. Earlier records will usually be brief and some information will not have been recorded. Scheduled monument consent is required to carry out certain work, including repairs, to scheduled monuments. Applications for scheduled monument consent are made to us. We are happy to discuss your proposals with you before you apply and we do not charge for advice or consent. More information about consent and how to apply for it can be found on our website at www.historicenvironment.scot.
Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Carsluith Castle
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 12/12/2018 19:37