Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, REMAINS OF DORTER AND REREDORTER RANGESLB46894

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
12/01/1971
Date Removed:
24/07/2017
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 8994 87243
Coordinates
308994, 687243

Removal Reason

The significance of this monument is recognised by its designations as a scheduled monument (see SM90116).

Description

Probably later 13th century. Partially remaining undercrofts of 2 separate parallel rectangular ranges running N/S; each with narrower remaining 2-bay elevation to S. Gothic; lancet windows with moulded arches (those to dorter joined by string course); splayed internally; remains of rib vaulting. Coursed dressed sandstone with ashlar dressings. Stepped base courses to both ranges.

REREDORTER: S ELEVATION: 2 windows; that to right partially intact. Remains of flanking buttresses. W ELEVATION: single window to S; remains of buttress to right. Otherwise adjoins bank of earth supporting churchyard. N ELEVATION: adjoins bank of earth supporting churchyard. E ELEVATION: foundations only extant. Remains of drain channel adjacent. INTERIOR: 4 bays in length; bays divided by chamfered wall shafts of vaulting. Fireplace to 2nd bay from S in W wall; triangular-headed entrance to adjacent bay to right. Inserted entrance to N wall.

DORTER: S ELEVATION: 4 windows; remains of central buttress and flanking buttresses. W ELEVATION: S wall of frater range adjoins at right angles to N. 2 and a half bays to S divided by remains of buttresses; 2 windows to outer right bay; one to left; entrance with moulded Gothic arch to N of S wall of frater range, opening into lobby of frater undercroft. E ELEVATION: Most of wall buried under churchyard. Single extant window to S. Buttress to left. N ELEVATION: buried underneath churchyard. INTERIOR: largely obscured by protruding embankment wall supporting churchyard. Bays divided by circular wall-shafts and subdivided by conical corbels formerly supporting sexpartite rib vaulting. Stone bench along wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Property in care. A-Group with Dunfermline Abbey, Nave, New Abbey Parish Church, Gatehouse, Frater Range, Palace and Kitchen and Entrance Gateways and Boundary Wall (see separate list descriptions). A Benedictine priory was established in Dunfermline in around 1070 by Queen Margaret, wife of Malcolm III. It was upgraded to an abbey by her son, David I in 1128. In 1304 the monastery buildings were partly destroyed by Edward I during the Wars of Independence. Judging by their existing remains, the dorter and reredorter were included in 'the few houses for monks' that were left standing.

Scheduled Ancient Monument.

References

Bibliography

David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, THE ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, VOL I (1971 facsimilie of 1896 publication) pp 230-58; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTIES OF CLACKMANNAN pp 106-21; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) pp 175-85; Richard Fawcett, THE ABBEY AND PALACE OF DUNFERMLINE (Historic Scotland guidebook, 1990).

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Dunfermline Abbey Nave and Palace

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/dunfermline-abbey-and-palace

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. Dunfermline AbbeySM90116

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated
  2. DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, REMAINS OF PALACE AND KITCHENLB25965

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  3. DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, NEW ABBEY PARISH CHURCH, CHURCH OF SCOTLANDLB25961

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Designated
  4. PITTENCRIEFF PARKGDL00315

    Designation Type
    Garden & Designed Landscape
    Status
    Designated
  5. DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, GATEHOUSELB25963

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  6. DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, REMAINS OF FRATER RANGELB46895

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  7. Dunfermline Abbey, Nave and memorials in burial ground, excluding scheduled monument SM90116, DunfermlineLB25960

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Designated

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, REMAINS OF DORTER AND REREDORTER RANGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 20:00