Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, GATEHOUSELB25963

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
12/01/1971
Date Removed:
24/07/2017
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 8940 87254
Coordinates
308940, 687254

Removal Reason

The significance of this monument is recognised by its designations as a scheduled monument (see SM90116).

Description

Circa 1500 (probably rebuilding of earlier structure); alterations to form museum, 1896-97; minor alterations R S Lorimer, 1909. 3-storey; butterfly-plan; Gothic gatehouse situated at an angle at SW corner of frater range adjoining kitchen. Rib-vaulted pend at ground floor level. Intact vaulted rooms to 1st and 2nd floors. Coursed dressed sandstone with ashlar dressings. Remains of corbelling at top of E and W elevations, possibly originally surmounted by bartizan.

W ELEVATION: large Gothic entrance with moulded arch to pend to right of ground floor. Pedestrian moulded-arched entrance (heightened by R S Lorimer 1909) set back at an angle to left. Small 1st floor window above main entrance; segmental-headed window with splayed moulded surround to 2nd floor. Segmental-headed window (formerly entrance with forestair) set back at an angle over pedestrian entrance; arrowslit above to left.

E ELEVATION: large moulded segmental arch to ground floor adjoining westernmost buttress of S side of frater range to right. Gothic-arched window with hoodmould above. Segmental-headed window with splayed moulded surround to 2nd floor.

N ELEVATION: adjoins SW corner of frater range. Arched opening above ground level of vaulted passageway leads into 1st floor of frater range. Entrance to 1st floor lobby of gatehouse at S corner of end of frater; studded timber door; timber lintel inscribed 'MUSEUM'. Later window above to left.

S ELEVATION: adjoins remains of kitchen building. Arched former entrance to right of 1st floor; early 20th century inserted entrance with stone lintel to left; studded timber door set back to inner face of wall; early 20th century passageway with parapet projects forward over remaining kitchen wall. Basket-arched window to 2nd floor formerly entrance to kitchen block.

Leaded fixed pane windows, mainly early 20th century. Roof not visible.

INTERIOR: quadripartite rib-vault with horizontal ridge ribs and central rose boss to W side of ground floor pend; ribbed barrel vaults to E side and at entrance to frater range. Lobby to NE side of 1st floor; large Gothic relieving arch to E opens onto entrance to 1st floor of frater. Late 19th century timber staircase leads up to 2nd floor. Inserted entrance into W chamber; late 19th century part-glazed timber door. Stone steps down to E chamber to S. Ribbed barrel vaults to W chamber; remains of fireplace to S wall. Stellar vault with horizontal ridge ribs and central rose boss to E chamber; this opens into short ribbed barrel vaulted passageway which adjoins hanging passageway to S of frater. Basket-arched entrance to 2nd floor chamber at top of late 19th century timber staircase; late 19th century timber door with stained glass panel set within chamber. Entrance formerly accessed only partially remaining turnpike staircase leading up to bartizan from upper chamber. Double quadripartite rib-vault with horizontal ridge ribs and central bosses carved with faces to upper chamber; remains of hooded fireplace to N side; lamp bracket to right supported on grotesque head. Cupboard niches to S and W walls with late 19th century glazed timber doors.

Statement of Special Interest

Property in care. A-Group with Dunfermline Abbey, New Abbey Parish Church, Nave, Remains of Dorter and Reredorter, Frater Range and Palace, Kitchen and Entrance Gateways and Boundary Wall (see separate list descriptions). A Benedictine priory was established in Dunfermline in around 1070 by Queen Margaret, wife of Malcolm III. It was upgraded to an abbey by her son, David I in 1128. In 1304 the monastery buildings were partly destroyed by Edward I during the Wars of Independence and rebuilt thereafter. It was converted for use as a museum by Andrew Carnegie in 1896-97.

Scheduled Ancient Monument.

References

Bibliography

Daniel Thomson, ANENT DUNFERMLINE, VOL VI (1896-97) entries 328 and 402; David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, THE ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, VOL I (1971 facsimilie of 1896 publication) pp 230-58; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTIES OF FIFE, KINROSS AND CLACKMANNAN (1933) pp106-21; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) pp 175-85; Richard Fawcett, THE ABBEY AND PALACE OF DUNFERMLINE (Historic Scotland guidebook, 1990); Richard Fawcett, SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE FROM THE ACCESSION OF THE STEWARTS TO THE REFORMATION (1371-1560) (1994) pp125-27.

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Dunfermline Abbey Nave and Palace

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/dunfermline-abbey-and-palace

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, REMAINS OF FRATER RANGELB46895

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  2. Dunfermline Abbey, Nave and memorials in burial ground, excluding scheduled monument SM90116, DunfermlineLB25960

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Designated
  3. DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, REMAINS OF DORTER AND REREDORTER RANGESLB46894

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  4. DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, NEW ABBEY PARISH CHURCH, CHURCH OF SCOTLANDLB25961

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Designated
  5. PITTENCRIEFF PARKGDL00315

    Designation Type
    Garden & Designed Landscape
    Status
    Designated
  6. DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, REMAINS OF PALACE AND KITCHENLB25965

    Designation Type
    Listed Building (A)
    Status
    Removed
  7. Dunfermline AbbeySM90116

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNFERMLINE ABBEY, GATEHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/03/2019 00:20