Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

AUCHINCRUIVE ESTATE, WALLED GARDEN, INCLUDING GREENHOUSES AND ANCILLARY STRUCTURESLB998

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
29/03/2000
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Parish
Ayr
NGR
NS 39104 23661
Coordinates
239104, 623661

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century. 2-chambered curved terraced walled garden. Coped brick walls, walled corridor from E to W through centre. Lean-to glasshouse to centre of N wall, flanking walls stepped down; depressed-arched sandstone gateway with 2-leaf cast-iron gate to W. Lean-to glasshouse to S of centre wall of S terrace, backing onto brick, sandstone and concrete potting sheds and gardeners accommodation, glasshouses to left and right removed; curved walls stepped down to W, with doorway and brick arch to N terrace; 2-leaf cast-iron gate to SW. Square-plan, single storey and attic lodge to E, flanked by 2-leaf cast-iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with East Lodge, Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, West Lodge and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). The Auchincruive Estate was owned by the Wallace family in the 13th century. There were a variety of owners until the 18th century when James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant, in 1764. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925, when they sold it to a local farmer John M Hannah, who gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains (1999). The original formal landscape at Auchincruive dates from the 18th century, however this is now vastly reduced and was remodelled circa 1830, after which the walled garden was probably built. The lodge at the E end is the Head Gardeners House, whilst the range of buildings along the central service corridor were potting sheds and further gardener accommodation. The garden is an interesting mix of formal and informal planting, although much of this has been carried out in the 20th century, only some of the original yew trees remaining.

References

Bibliography

Thomson's map of Ayrshire, 1828 (undesignated); 1st (1860) and 2nd (1897) EDITION OS MAPS; AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, Vol 2 (1987), p158; NMRS Photographic Archive (A67702CS).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHINCRUIVE ESTATE, WALLED GARDEN, INCLUDING GREENHOUSES AND ANCILLARY STRUCTURES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 03:26