Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MIDDLETONLB960

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Beith
NGR
NS 39561 52337
Coordinates
239561, 652337

Description

1769 (dated) and late 19th century; with late 20th century rebuilding and restoration. U-plan courtyard with 2 crowstepped dwellings and flanking former barn, byre and stables; large rear walled garden.

North front, to cobbled courtyard: small, 2-storey 3-bay nepus-gabled house; door to L with simple roll-moulded reveals, marriage lintel above inscribed 'WC JS'; 2 triangular doocots to nepus with 3 triangular ledges; apex stack; rubble built with droved ashlar dressings; moulded string course between ground and 1st floor, moulded eaves cornice. To west, late 19th century tall, 2-storey house raised over earlier single storey range; irregular openings. 2 ranges flanking courtyard (that to L now without gables and original roof); irregular openings including cart arch, mounting block adjacent; crowstepped skews to R range and triangular doocots in end gables (both formerly with apex ball finials); rubble built with droved dressings and moulded eaves cornice.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey 4-bay later house to L with bipartite and single windows; timber panelled door to centre R with stop-chamfered surround, cornice and frieze above. Earlier house to R with single window and door to ground. Reconstructed adjoining 6-bay wing to outer R (circa 2000).

Timber sash and case plate glass windows; uPVC windows to converted stables. Grey slate roofs; stone ridges; coped ashlar stacks.

INTERIOR: mostly modernised. Original 18th century stone chimneybreast in earlier house. Timber panelled doors, cornices, chimneypieces and turned timber stair balustrade to later house.

WALLED GARDEN: to south of house; rubble built with dressed coping and ashlar flat arch to fields. In ruins at present (2003).

Statement of Special Interest

William Caldwell is recorded as the landowner of Middleton in the Heritors' Records of 1820-22, at the time the tenth most profitable lands in the parish. When first built, the property would have consisted of the single 2-storey dwelling in the centre of the long range of the U-plan courtyard. The byre and stables projecting at right angles but not adjoining this range both had crowstepped gables with doocots in the north ends and rather grand ball finials to the apices. This formal arrangement indicates an early steading of the improvement era and illustrates the prosperity of the landowner. The doocots incorporated in the gables provided the inhabitants with a valuable source of food in the wintertime and were a common feature in 18th century Scotland.

The late 19th century house built over the earlier single storey range is far larger in scale than any of the other buildings in the complex. The wing to the east of the earlier house is a late 20th century reconstruction. The former byre to the east has lost its pitched roof but is otherwise well preserved with some good voussoired arches over the doorways. Originally the buildings would have been harled with exposed margins and the roofs thatched.

References

Bibliography

National Archives of Scotland BEITH HERITORS' RECORDS (1820-22) Ref HR/577/6. Marked as a large property on John Thomson's map of 1828. Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MIDDLETON

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 07:56