Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KINCARDINE O'NEIL, 36 NORTH DEESIDE ROAD, OLD SCHOOLHOUSE AND FORMER READING ROOM INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATESLB9573

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/04/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
21/01/2008
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Kincardine O'Neil
NGR
NO 59219 99687
Coordinates
359219, 799687

Description

Circa 1860. Fine little-altered 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, former schoolhouse with centre timpany gable, timber-pilastered door, and adjoining single storey reading room. Harled with ashlar quoin strips and margins, and moulded skewputts.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical principal elevation to W with bays grouped toward centre and 1st floor openings close to eaves; narrow centre bay with panelled timber door and 2-part fanlight, blind arrowslit in timpany gable and flanking cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers. Blank elevation to rear (E) with almost full-height wall of reading room abutting at right.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped harled stacks with full-complement of polygonal cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.

INTERIOR: some good interior detail retained including moulded cornices, timber fire surrounds and cast iron insets; curving staircase with plain ironwork railing, timber handrail and decoratively consoled arch.

FORMER READING ROOM: slated and harled, single storey, 3-bay, gabled, L-plan structure to NE of schoolhouse. Entrance elevation to E with advanced, canted bay to S and door on right return. 4-pane timber sash and case glazing.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES: rubble-coped roughly coursed rubble boundary walls with hoopwork gates.

Statement of Special Interest

The former schoolhouse is a good, little altered example of a pre-1872 Education Act building. Forming part of a small group of educational buildings, its interest is enhanced by the adjoining Reading Room, or 'Roomie', and the surrounding school walls as well as the related nearby former Morrice School (see separate listing). The Reading Room was originally part of a two-roomed boys school (room to south demolished) while the nearby former Morrice School, dated 1856, was an endowed female school. These school buildings became redundant in 1895 with the opening of the new mixed Primary School. Situated at the heart of the village, the former Schoolhouse and Reading Room is an important part of Kincardine O'Neil's architectural and social history. Many rural schools, which may have consisted of only a single room in a house, became redundant following the 1872 Education Act which made education compulsory and acted as a catalyst for a nationwide programme of school building.

Kincardine O'Neil is situated on the Deeside route to Balmoral, and the boundary walls of the Schoolhouse have been altered at the south west angle to incorporate a granite water trough commemorating the Jubilee of Queen Victoria, in 1897. Sited close to the west boundary is a fine rectangular-plan, ogee-capped, ashlar fountain dated 1858 and dedicated to St Erchan who founded a monastic settlement at Kincardine O'Neil. Immediately to the south is the fourteenth century Church of Kincardine O'Neil, 'one of the most interesting medieval buildings in the north-east of Scotland' (Third Statistical Account, p388).

Re-categorised as C(S) from B for Group (2006). The listing relates specifically to the group interest of the subject. It applies, as always, to interior as well as exterior, as appropriate to building type.

Address and list description revised 2008.

References

Bibliography

Jane Geddes Deeside and The Mearns (2001), p107. Ed Henry Hamilton The Third Statistical Account: The county of Aberdeen (1960), p388. 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1864-71). Information courtesy of local resident. www.kincardineoneil.co.uk.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINCARDINE O'NEIL, 36 NORTH DEESIDE ROAD, OLD SCHOOLHOUSE AND FORMER READING ROOM INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 05:02