Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KINCARDINE O'NEIL, 32 NORTH DEESIDE ROAD, FORMER MORRICE SCHOOL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB9536

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/04/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
21/01/2008
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Kincardine O'Neil
NGR
NO 59245 99673
Coordinates
359245, 799673

Description

Dated 1856. Picturesquely detailed, single storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan former female school with centre door gablet incorporating roll-moulded commemorative stone, and segmental arched doorpiece and some lattice glazing. Bull-faced granite with roughly squared rubble to sides and rear, deep base course. Long and short quoins.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical centre door, principal elevation to W facing former playground. Boarded timber door with 2-part fanlight giving way to incised memorial plaque dated '1856 AD' (see Notes). 2 small modern rooflights above.

Lattice casement glazing to right and top lights to left of W elevation, and narrow arrowslit type window to E; 4- and 9-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows (some replacement) elsewhere. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans; stepped ashlar-coped skews and moulded skewputts.

BOUNDARY WALL: low coped rubble boundary wall to W.

Statement of Special Interest

A pre-1872 Education Act purpose-built rural school building, the former Morrice School is an unusually finely-detailed building for the village, with its well-crafted granite stonework. Situated at the heart of the village, the former School is an important part of Kincardine O'Neil's architectural and social history. Many rural schools, which may have consisted of only a single room in a house, became redundant following the 1872 Education Act which made education compulsory and acted as a catalyst for a nationwide programme of school building. The former Morrice School retains much of its character and its quality masonry and commemorative panel set it apart from other rural examples. The interest here is increased by the survival of the complementary nearby schoolhouse and reading room (see below) which catered for boys. The Morrice School was endowed as a female school. The commemorative plaque inscription records that the school was built "... as a tribute to the memory of the Rev William Morrice ...".

Re-categorised as C(S) from B for Group (2006). The listing relates specifically to the group interest of the subject. It applies, as always, to interior as well as exterior, as appropriate to building type.

When originally listed this building was referred to as the 'The Morrice School, Now Reading Room' but the building known as the 'Reading Room' originally constituted part of the boys school and is in fact adjoined to the nearby, separately listed, schoolhouse (HB number 9573).

Address and list description revised 2008.

References

Bibliography

Jane Geddes Deeside and The Mearns (2001), p107. Ed Henry Hamilton The Third Statistical Account: The county of Aberdeen (1960), p388. 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1864-71). Information courtesy of local resident. www.kincardineoneil.co.uk.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINCARDINE O'NEIL, 32 NORTH DEESIDE ROAD, FORMER MORRICE SCHOOL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 01:47