Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
NS 35431 53535
235431, 653535


Circa 1870. Large, gabled 2-storey Gothic villa. Asymmetrical plan; pointed-arched fenestration within chamfered surrounds, broad bracketed eaves and plain bargeboarding; octagonal service stair turret (stairs now removed) with fishscale slated octagonal roof and tall finial; prominent Gothic porch. Battered base course; squared and snecked cream sandstone; dressed ashlar margins.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: buttressed, gabled open porch in re-entrant to SE with dwarf Gothic arcade, pierced quatrefoils below; pierced decoration on pointed entrance arch with trefoil above to gablehead; 3 pinnacles capped with fleur-de-lis; integral stone bench within porch and encaustic tiled floor; timber boarded 2-leaf vestibule door with wrought-iron hinges. Advanced bay to R with tripartite to ground, balconied bipartite above.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 principal bays, plus further bays to L. Tripartite window to R; canted quadripartite bay to L with pierced stone balustrade above; 2 bipartites windows to 1st floor;

S ELEVATION: tripartite window to R; canted quadripartite bay to L with pierced stone balustrade and tripartite window above; balconied bipartite window to 1st floor R.

N ELEVATION: with modern single storey projecting wing to R.

INTERIOR: fine, well-detailed decorative scheme in place including timber panelled doors in roll-moulded architraves, elaborate Gothic-style cornices and ceiling roses to ground floor (only 2 chimneypieces survive). Lobby: pointed-arched chimneypiece with cornice and small plinth; encaustic tiled hearth. Former drawing room: bay window to S through Tudor-arched opening. Former dining room: elaborate Gothic plasterwork cornice. Morning room: Gothic oak chimneypiece with flanking paired, engaged columns supporting mantelpiece; red tiled slip. Hall and staircase: through pointed-arched opening, timber staircase with turned balusters, square newel posts with bud finials; distinctive Gothic ashlar dwarf arcade/screen (echoing porch) to half-landing with polychrome marble columns and plain leaf capitals; rectangular coved surround to cupola with elaborate plasterwork, timber Tudor-Gothic frame supporting 12-light leaded, stained glass window, 2000 (see Notes).

Original timber plate glass sash and case windows, carved internally with foils. Blue-grey slates; corniced ashlar ridge stacks with octagonal clay cans; further corniced ashlar wallhead stacks to service wing with tall octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Geilsland was built for William Fulton Love. In Cuninghame Topographized, Dobie writes about the divided lands of Geilsland: 'In 1867, two of these divisions were acquired by William Fulton Love, writer and bank agent in Beith, who has built a handsome villa, and enclosed and planted with much taste, 5 acres around it.' William Fulton 'married Jessie, eldest daughter of the late William Love of Hamilfield, writer and bank agent in Beith, by Mary, third daughter of Hugh Kerr of Gatend, and has issue, John and Robert, and five daughters'. Geilsland Road was originally 'Gillsland Road' and Dobie states that in Pont's map, the area was marked 'Neelsland'.

The house is possibly by Robert Samson Ingram (1841-1915) of J & R S Ingram, Kilmarnock. Among many works in and around Kilmarnock, a pair of late 19th century Gothic semi-villas at 28 and 30 Portland Road, Kilmarnock (listed) believed to be by him have architectural details comparable with Geilsland, in particular the entrance porch with its columned supports.

The Church of Scotland established a Special School at Geilsand in 1964. Geilsland operates as such today (2003). To commemorate the millennium and the work of the school, the stained glass windows in the hall were commissioned from Gail Muir and depict the activities taught at the school. In 2002, work was undertaken to remove some of the 1960s additions to the building.



James Dobie CUNINGHAME TOPOGRAPHIZED BY TIMOTHY PONT 1604-1608 (1876) p214. Marked on OS map of 1897. Michael C Davis CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991) pp97, 265.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GEILSLAND ROAD, GEILSLAND CHURCH OF SCOTLAND SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 15:28