Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HOUSE OF FALKLAND ESTATE, BRIDGE OVER ROARING OR MILL BURN AND ADJOINING GATEPIERSLB8766

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
01/02/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Falkland
NGR
NO 24273 7277
Coordinates
324273, 707277

Description

Possibly William Burn, circa 1844. Single-span, round-arched stone bridge with decorative, pierced 5-bay corniced parapets and square-plan coped end piers. Coursed, stugged stone to arch, ashlar to parapets. Base course, corniced coping. Parapet bays with stylized floral quatrefoil design with central rosettes. Curved path with rough rubble walling to S leads to pair of gatepiers.

GATEPIERS: Pair of square-plan, corniced gatepiers to S. Coursed, channelled vermiculated stone. Deep stepped base course.

Statement of Special Interest

This ornate bridge and its associated gatepiers are fine decorative features situated close to the House of Falkland (see separate listing) and within its designed landscape, forming a link between what used to be part of the formal gardens of the house and the wilder landscape beyond. The stylised floral design to the parapets add a notable decorative element to the structure. Curved rubble walling set into the bank guides the way from the bridge to the gatepiers. The architectural style responds to the move from a formal space to the wilder landscape beyond, in particular with the large vermiculated gatepiers clearly marking a transition from the more delicately detailed pierced parapets.

In its present form, House of Falkland estate dates from the early 19th century when it was acquired by John Bruce in 1821. During his time at the estate, Bruce improved the lands around the existing estate house, Nuthill House (now demolished), built the Stables (see separate listing), and erected cascades and bridges over the Mill and Maspie Burns. The previous list description notes that this bridge is by William Burn, but this is not yet verified and it may date to this 1820s work done on the estate by John Bruce.

On his death in 1826, John Bruce's niece Margaret inherited the Estate. She married Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce in 1828 and they made the decision to demolish Nuthill House and to build a new residence. The architect for the new house was William Burn and the house was built in 1839-44. They also laid out the formal garden around the house. The 3rd Marquis of Bute then bought the Estate in 1887 and further work was carried out to the house and the estate. The house was used as a convalescent home in the First World War and as a home for Polish Airmen in the Second World War. The House of Falkland is currently a school (2011).

Previous list description notes that finial urns on the bridge have been removed.

(List description updated 2011).

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1854-56). John Gifford, Fife, The Buildings of Scotland (1988), pf221. Derek Carter Associates, Historic Landscape survey and restoration plan for House of Falkland Designed Landscape Project (2001), RCAHMS, Collection, MS2589.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOUSE OF FALKLAND ESTATE, BRIDGE OVER ROARING OR MILL BURN AND ADJOINING GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 02:28