Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
NS 37365 52430
237365, 652430


1797 (dated). Single storey rubble-built barn with arched opening (possibly cart-shed?) to S, now blocked; large rectangular opening to R with later metal sliding doors, lintel above dated. Ventilation slits on all elevations. Blocked door to N elevation. Pitched, corrugated-iron roof.

INTERIOR: solum floor; timber roof structure; remains of limewashed surface to walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Prominently sited at a bend in the road, the barn is a good example of a relatively unaltered 18th century farm building. The lands of Balgray were originally part of the Hessilhead estate, in the Barony of Giffen, and were owned by the Montgomeries in the 16th century. In the early 18th century the names of John Stevenson and John Muir were connected with these lands. According to map evidence, the adjacent Balgray Cottage (in separate ownership, separately listed) and barn were part of a larger group of farm buildings, surviving until the mid 20th century. The barn would have been thatched or slated originally and the corrugated-iron is a 20th century addition in the modern vernacular tradition. The traditional lime mortar is still in place though the lime harl which would have covered the building has disintegrated over time.



'Bagraw' marked on Andrew Armstrong's map of 1775 and John Ainslie's map of 1821. 'Balgrays' marked on John Thomson's map of 182. Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858. James Dobie CUNINGHAME, TOPOGRAPHIZED BY TIMOTHY PONT 1604-1608 (1876) p199. Historic Scotland photographs (circa 1980).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALGRAY BARN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 17:56