Listed Building
The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
KNOCKANDO WATCH HOUSE AND BURIAL GROUND TO PARISH CHURCHLB8498
Status: Designated
Documents
There are no additional online documents for this record.
Summary
- Category
- C
- Date Added
- 26/01/1971
- Local Authority
- Moray
- Planning Authority
- Moray
- Parish
- Knockando
- NGR
- NJ 18643 42881
- Coordinates
- 318643, 842881
Description
1757 on site of earlier church, repaired 1832, William
Robertson, Elgin; additions and re-modelling John Robertson,
Inverness, 1904-6. Harled, tooled ashlar margins and
dressings.
Original simple rectangular church with long elevations N and S.
fronted at S by 1904-6 4-bay aisle. Pointed-headed entrance
at SW in gabled bay. 2-stage drumtower in re-entrant angle
with belfry in louvred upper stage under conical slated roof.
3 cusped 2-light windows in centre of S elevation with
further large traceried window breaking wallhead in gabled
end bay. Similar 2-light fenestration in 4-bay N elevation.
Apse at E gable; pointed-headed entrance in E return gable of
S aisle.
Small single storey bowed vestry projects at W.
Apex crosses; slate roofs.
INTERIOR: re-modelled interior with Gothic detailing. E apse
houses organ; richly carved communion table and pulpit,
with bas-relief panels. Cluster pedestal to pulpit, Gothic
detailing to handrail. S aisle accommodates wide gallery,
further gallery at W, both with cusped panelled front; pine
pews. Braced rafter roof.
Single stained glass window in N wall bay, Douglas Strachan,
circa 1917.
WATCH HOUSE: small rectangular early 19th century, harl
pointed rubble watch house with doorway in gable and single
window. Local slate roof.
BURIAL GROUND: large irregular rubble walled burial ground;
rubble wall with tooled cope (1822). Pair carriage entrances
at E, each with bullfaced rubble gatepiers and pair spearhead
cast-iron gates.
Mainly 19th and 20th century tombstones.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Symbol stones set against E wall of burial ground are
Scheduled Monuments.
Enlarged 1904-5 at cost of ?1,000. ?500 donated by Lord Mount
Stephen and Strathcona, formerly Donald A Smith of Dufftown,
whose parents lived in Archiestown 1841-circa 1860.
Douglas Strachan window in memory of Lieut L R Cumming,
killed in action 1914. Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 1225.
References
Bibliography
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT iv (1792), p. 303. NEW STATISTICAL
ACCOUNT xiii (1835), p. 78. ELGIN COURANT AND COURIER, 23
August 1904. 2 Oct 1906, p. 5. BANFFSHIRE HERALD 7 Oct 1905,
p. 4. A C Russell, THE STAINED GLASS WINDOWS OF DOUGLAS
STRACHEN (1972). ELGIN COURANT AND COURIER, 2 Nov 1917 p. 2,
report dedication memorial window. Photographic collection,
Elgin Library. Scottish Record Office CM2/65/101.
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.
Images
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KNOCKANDO WATCH HOUSE AND BURIAL GROUND TO PARISH CHURCH
There are no images available for this record.
Search Canmore