Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

IRVINE, PERCETON, PERCETON HOUSE, FORMER STABLESLB834

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/02/1980
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Dreghorn
NGR
NS 35405 40672
Coordinates
235405, 640672

Description

Late 18th or early 19th century. Predominantly single-storey, with 2-storey range to W, U-plan former stables with wall to NE, forming square-plan courtyard (currently offices, 2012). Rubble, with smooth margins; rendered elevation to SW. Raised margins. Rectangular window and door openings; some segmental-arched openings; some openings filled-in. Piended dormers breaking wallhead to SW. Coped rubble wall to NE with central opening and gatepiers.

INTERIOR: (seen 2012). Comprehensively altered.

Predominantly 6- over 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Raised skews. Brick ridge stack.

Statement of Special Interest

This classical former stable is a good example of a late 18th or possibly 19th century square-plan courtyard, which is situated close to its associated Perceton House (see separate list description). The stables have been internally altered to provide office accommodation, storage and a social club, but they retain their original plan-form and roofline.

Perceton House dates from around 1770 and was built by William Macredie, whose family had acquired the land and previous house in 1720. The original Perceton House was demolished in 1770 when this one was built. The house remained in the family until 1929, when it was bought by the Mitchell family. They then sold it to the Irvine Development Corporation in 1968. It is likely that the stables were built in 1770 together with the current Perceton House.

List description updated, 2013.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1858-60). M Davis, Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire, (1991) p353. R Close, Ayrshire and Arran, (1992) p62. Other information courtesy of North Ayrshire Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to IRVINE, PERCETON, PERCETON HOUSE, FORMER STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 06:48