Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

20 DEWARTOWN, TIME COTTAGELB794

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/01/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
19/03/1998
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Borthwick
NGR
NT 37920 64222
Coordinates
337920, 664222

Description

Dated 1783. Single storey, 5 bay, rectangular plan cottage. Random rubble sandstone with dressings built up in cement.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, comprising boarded timber door in penultimate bay to right, with tooled name panel which reads "TIME COTTAGE 1783" breaking eaves; altered fenestration to remaining bays; small 8 pane window to outer left.

NE ELEVATION: not seen 1997.

SW ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining cottage.

SE ELEVATION: not seen 1997.

Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows with red tiled cills. Red pantiled roof with terracotta ridge; stone skews; cast iron rainwater goods; coped red brick gablehead stack shared with cottage to right; coped polished sandstone gablehead stack to left; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

Statement of Special Interest

According to the New Statistical Account this was originally a linear village with plantations on the opposite side of the road which have since been replaced by dwelling houses.

References

Bibliography

THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1845), p183; 1st (1852) and 2nd (1892) edition OS Maps; F H Groome (ed), ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 2, (1882), p354; H Kirkland (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF MIDLOTHIAN, (1985), p222, ills p224 & 225; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p114 & 115; NMRS Photographs: b/ML/906 & a/ML/907.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 20 DEWARTOWN, TIME COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 11:59