Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CRICHTON VILLAGE, COTTAGES 10-14 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS)LB765

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/07/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Crichton
NGR
NT 38535 61962
Coordinates
338535, 661962

Description

Sir Robert Rowand Anderson; 1885. Extended mid-20th century. Single storey, symmetrical range of six farm-worker's cottages with advanced gabled ends flanking central arch. Coursed sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central gable: pointed-arched pend, rubble voussoirs; hood mould; inset architraved date stone below gablehead; plain stone skews; slate roof; small stone stacks flanking at ridge; 4 cottages flanking archway: flush surround tripartite window to right flank of each doorway, bipartite to each left flank; 2 stone stacks to each row2 end cottages: entrance doorway on main block, window in re-entrant angles; gable ended, window with circular window above.

SW ELEVATION: single storey flat-roofed extension to return of No 9; high rubble chimney stack, stone neck cope.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 cottages to flanks of arch: original elevation mostly obscured by single storey, flat-roofed extensions to central 4, further extensions to No 13 rear.

NE ELEVATION: single storey flat-roofed extension to return of No.14; high rubble chimney stack, stone neck cope.

6-pane, slightly bowed bipartite and tripartite casement windows to front. Graded slate piended roof, with some modern Velux roof light to cottage's rear pitch. Chimneys: single can to short stack, triple can to high stack, paired plain cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

Sir Robert Rowand Anderson designed these properties. He was responsible for the design of the farmhouse at Crichton Mains, along the road, in 1885-7. These cottages were built to house workers from this estate. The farm cottages are grouped to either side of an arched thoroughfare, leading to drying greens at the back. Each cottage had its own small front garden, shared drive and the green to the rear and a small outhouse and toilet. Later alterations to each cottage added a small flat-roofed kitchen/bathroom extension to the rear or side, but now larger replacement additions have led to the rear elevation losing its original simplicity of form and line. Front elevation and gardens now surrounded by a hedge and low rubble wall.

References

Bibliography

Rowand Anderson Collection, University of Edinburgh PLANS FOR CRICHTON FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGES (1885-6) Section 10, 181 Midlothian no.941 (a, b & c); Midlothian District Council, archive photographs; S McKinstry ROWAND ANDERSON - THE PREMIER ARCHITECT OF SCOTLAND (1991) pp191-192; J. Thomas MIDLOTHIAN (1995), p119; National Monuments Record MIDLOTHIAN box C.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CRICHTON VILLAGE, COTTAGES 10-14 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 03:43