Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CAKEMUIR CASTLE, INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN, STABLE RANGE AND COTTAGELB764

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Crichton
NGR
NT 41185 59114
Coordinates
341185, 659114

Description

Circa 1564. 4-storey and cap house, rectangular-plan tower house; 1761 wing adjoining with later 19th century wing; Scottish Baronial additions. Modernised by Rowand Anderson Paul and Partners, 1926, and Neil and Hurd, circa 1952. Coursed brown stone, ashlar surrounds. Corbelled parapet, enlarged windows.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tower to left: blind wall, gun-loop to ground and 3rd floor, corbelled parapet, circular turnpike stair tower at NW corner (gun loop and small window near top) terminating in square cap house; 1761 wing: 2 ?-storey with later Baronial additions; timber door with glazed panel to left; single storey crowstepped gable entrance porch with inset Wauchope armorial panel above door, window to left return; projecting stone bipartite window above; stone dormer with finial breaking eaves. Round tower, corbelled, terminating in square crowstep gabled cap house in re-entrant angle; windows at each floor, window and gabled dormer to left return. Later 19th century addition: 1 ?-storey, irregular fenestration and distribution of gableheads and dormers; small gabled porch, door to right return; additional flat-roofed fuel store adjoining.

NE ELEVATION: blank wall, off centre window to ground and 1st floor left, gun loop to 3rd floor left; corbelled parapet connecting 2 watch-houses, crow-stepped gable, stone gablehead stack with flagpole.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 1564 tower to right: paired slit windows to ground floor; single windows to 1st and 3rd floor; paired windows to 2nd floor; gun loop to 3rd floor left; continuation of corbelled parapet above; crowstepped gable, stone gablehead stack, 2 cans; 3 single windows to left return. 1761 wing to left: 2?-storey, 4-bay regular fenestration; 2-leaf glazed door to ground floor right; later stone gabled dormers breaking eaves, stack at ridge between 1st and 2nd bay left; 3-storey single bay to left return, gablehead stack, no cans; rear adjoins 19th century wing.

SW ELEVATION: irregular sloping elevation; primarily 1 ? -storey: pair of windows with smaller window to left, 2 dormers breaking eaves almost above, small chimney to wallhead; modern piended single storey harled extension to ground floor centre; single window to right; slated mansard with bipartite window above right; further dormer to attic.

Enlarged windows: 2-pane, 4-pane, 9-pane and 12-pane timber sash and case. Later 19th century replacement piended slate roof, modern replacement cast-iron rainwater goods; parapet walkway drained by projecting stone spouts, one misaligned to avoid dripping in front of the Queen's Room.

INTERIOR: panelled timber shutters; ornate plaster cornices; inscribed beams in study; coved ceiling in drawing room; timber panelled Queen Mary's room; decorative tiled floor to hall and stone turnpike stair in circular tower.

WALLED GARDEN: random rubble wall with shaped stone copes forming rectangular garden and boundary to rear of the property.

STABLE RANGE (INCORPORATING GARDENER'S COTTAGE): L-shaped stable range: random rubble, timber stable doors; 8-pane timber sash and case windows; slate roof. Single storey, 3-bay cottage: coursed rubble, central door, 8-pane sash and case windows, skew gabled.

Statement of Special Interest

Cakemuir Castle is situated 4 miles SSE of Pathhead on the E side of a secluded valley near to Cakemuir Burn. Built for Adam Wauchope, the 5th son of Gilbert Wauchope of Niddrie, the house was used in 1567 by Mary, Queen of Scots who was fleeing danger dressed as a page. She rode from Borthwick to Cakemuir across the moors and a room still bears her name. She then went on to Dunbar. The tower house is roughly rectangular, with a turret and an 18th century W wing with later additions. There were very few defensive features, only a series of (now infilled) gunloops on the fourth floor and two roofed watch-boxes flanking the west gable chimney. A stone seat was provided in each for the occupants to view the countryside to the south and east. The tower has undergone many renovations, the SW wing was added in 1761 for Henry Wauchope, Secretary to Lord Bute. The last major additions were carried out in the 19th century for George Wright of Edinburgh who used it during the summer months. In 1915 it was noted the house was in good repair and now re-occupied, although it had been ruinous previously. Timber floors were re-laid between each storey, the parapet restored and the structure re-roofed at a shallower pitch than the original. It has since been modernised and resold. It has still a surviving mature walled garden with timber framed glass house, gardener's cottage and stable range (to SE of main house).

References

Bibliography

J Blaeu, LOTHIAN AND LINLITQVO (1654) showing Kackmoore; James Hunter, FALA AND SOUTRA (1892) p17; Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland, INVENTORY FOR MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN (1929) pp51-52; Lesley Scott Moncrieff, SCOTLAND'S MAGAZINE "THE HOUSE OF CAKEMUIR" (1956) pp15-17; H Fenwick SCOTLAND'S CASTLES (1976) pp 71-73; C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978) p129; J Thomas MIDLOTHIAN (1995) pp122-123.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAKEMUIR CASTLE, INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN, STABLE RANGE AND COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/06/2022 22:59