Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NS 38755 84565
238755, 684565


Robert Lugar, 1830 incorporating 15th century castle; additions Scott, Stephen and Gale, 1834; octagonal entrance tower, 1850; late 19th century remodelling. Harled with sandstone margins and dressings. 3-storey, asymmetrical, rectangular-plan block.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: long asymmetrical range. 1850 octagonal entrance tower advanced to outer left, low machicolated crenellated parapet; crenellated porch at centre, canted arrises. 3-centred arch door, roll-moulded surround, hoodmould, armorial plaque above; inner half-glazed door; slightly advanced oriel at 1st floor, lead roof, window above; narrow lancets at ground flanking porch. 3-bay recessed, symmetrical block to right of tower, crenellated parapet, tripartite window at centre at principal floor; windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, narrow window at centre, flanking larger windows; smalll windows at basement level. 4-bay symmetrical recessed wing to right, terminated by round tower; harled at ground floors, rubble at attic floor. Small windows at basement asymmetrically disposed, bays at 1st and attic floor symmetrically disposed; pedimented dormerheads at upper floor; harled round tower, small window at ground, bell-cast roof; small crenellated bridging turret between tower and recessed service and stable wing to outer right (service block described below).

W ELEVATION: tower to outer right, crenellated block to left, windows at centre, basement to upper floor, that at main floor largest (8-pane over 12-pane); window at upper floor to outer right; small windows at ground left; blank upper floors. Round tower with Gothick window, candle-snuffer roof glazed at apex and tall crowstepped gabled block seen behind parapet.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay block to outer right, windows to otuer rifht larger. Tall, narrow crowstepped gabled block, 4-storey over basement, tripartite window at basement, 2 large windows at principal floor, single window at centre of 1st floor, 2 small windows to outer left at upper floors; broad sandstone apex stack. Rubble crenellated screen wall of service court to left, early 20th century flat-roofed, slate- hung block recessed behind; gable and adjoining wing of service block.

4-pane, 12-pane and 16-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate roof, lead flashings; broad coped ashlar wallhead and apex stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 1996.

SERVICE AND STABLE BLOCK: crowstepped gabled block, ashlar at ground, rubble upper floor.

S ELEVATION: round-arched gate at centre, incised voussoirs, boarded door. Narrow pointed window above, armorial plaque above, dated 1380 (perhaps from earlier building). Ashlar link wall, pier pedestal with narrow tall red sandstone gabled bellcote.

E ELEVATION: 3 piend-roofed dormerheads symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, 4-pane timber sash and case windows. 2 round-arched carriage doors at ground, boarded doors.

N ELEVATION: gable, 2 windows at ground, cruciform vent at centre in gablehead, coped apex stack. Parapetted, 2-bay block to outer right.

4-pane, tudor-arched and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, lead flashings. Coped sandstone apex stacks.

QUADRANT GATEWAY TO NORTH LODGE: stugged, squared and snecked quadrant wall with ashlar slab coping. Gatepeirs with depressed conical cap, ball finial. cast-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

The house was built for John Buchanan of Ardoch. Lugar designed

3 castles in Dunbartonshire, Balloch, Boturich and Tullichewan. Balloch Castle and Tullichewan stable block, home farm and lodge are listed separately in Bonhill parish, Dunbartonshire.



F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) p48. H Colvin

A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1995) p625. T Hannon FAMOUS SCOTTISH HOUSES pp41-44, illustrations 42-43. NSA Vol VIII p215.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOTURICH CASTLE WITH QUADRANT WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 03:48