Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

TURNBERRY HOTELLB7618

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/02/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
18/04/2017
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Parish
Kirkoswald
NGR
NS 20571 5863
Coordinates
220571, 605863

Description

James Miller, 1904-5, extended 1920s. Extensive, 2-storey and attic, multi-bay, gabled hotel with Queen Anne influenced details, situated in high position overlooking River Clyde to W. Rendered brick with ashlar details. Ashlar base course to W; dentilled cornice with brackets. Dentilled pediments. Variety of window types, including canted bays, multi-pane and bipartite window openings with timber mullions and transoms. Piended- and flat-roofed dormers. Further single-storey sections to E; some later additions.

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; near central advanced, Ionic-columned, corniced entrance porch with part-glazed swing entrance doors with decorative fanlight above; flanking multi-pane window openings; red brick and chequered parapet above with piended-roof, columned veranda over and decorative railing above porch. Flanked by 3-bay sections with projecting, bowed, 4-bay, flat-roofed window bays with Venetian-style window openings, separated by engaged Doric columns. Flanked by projecting single-bay gabled sections with multi-light canted bay windows to ground and upper storey with decorative metal panels between. Further outer bays with similar details. Regularly spaced, flat-roofed dormers.

E ELEVATION; asymmetric-plan, multi-bay, with off-centre U-plan courtyard. Courtyard with 3-storey central elevation. Advanced, central balustraded porch with moulded doorpiece with non-traditional entrance doors and multi-light fanlight above; small multi-paned canted window to upper storeys behind. Flat-roofed, parapetted 3-stage stair block to left with large, multi-paned mullioned and transomed stair window. To further left, recessed 4-stage, balustraded tower. Advanced flat-roofed single-storey section to right. Side elevations of courtyard to N and S with gables and variety of window types.

Variety of glazing patterns; predominantly multi-pane timber casement windows: some multi-pane over plate glass; some fixed windows. Red roof tiles. Tall corniced ridge and roof stacks with red cans.

INTERIOR: (seen 2012). Opulent interior decoration throughout, particularly to public spaces and rooms. Main public area to ground with coffered ceilings with heavy dentilled cornicing, sections supported by timber panelled square pillars and Ionic columns. Timber panelled entrance lobby with elaborate decorative plasterwork; grand timber open-well staircase with timber panelled stairwell. Classical marble chimney pieces; some decorative chimney surrounds.

Statement of Special Interest

Turnberry Hotel is an important building, designed by the eminent architect James Miller and prominently situated on high ground overlooking its golf course and the Firth of Clyde. The building has fine, decorative detailing, shown to effect in the long front elevation, with its mixture of gables, window details and regular dormers and chimney stacks. The opulence of the extensive interior decoration adds significantly to the character of the building. The first resort hotel in Scotland, the pillared veranda over the west entrance is influenced by Colonial design, which echoes design features used in early 20th century country resort hotels in the United States. The original hotel was extended significantly to the north and south in the 1920s, almost doubling the length of the west elevation. There has also been some alteration and additions to the rear elevation. Initially called the Turnberry Station Hotel, the hotel was opened in 1906, together with its associated Turnberry Railway Station. Turnberry Golf Course was opened in 1901 and soon bought by the Glasgow and South-Western Railway, who opened the train station on their line between Ayr and Girvan in 1905 and built the hotel. The station was situated to the east of the hotel. Passengers would alight at the station and then walk a short distance through a covered walkway to reach the hotel. The main entrance door of the hotel is therefore to the east, although the principal elevation faces west. From the outset, the hotel was designed to be as luxurious as possible, and was aimed primarily at Glaswegians who could take advantage of the convenience of the train and the proximity of the golf course.

As well as a lavishly decorated interior, the hotel offered electric lighting, central heating, hot and cold running water and saltwater plunge baths. Teams of maids, butlers and cooks attended every guest.

During the First World War, the hotel was requisitioned for military use, serving as both a hospital and housing facilities for a training airfield that was built around the hotel.

James Miller (1860-1947) was born in Perthshire although most of his work was completed from his practice in Glasgow. He was one of Scotland's most accomplished and innovative early 20th century architects and his work was extensive.

References

Bibliography

3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1910-11). A Sloan with G Murray, James Miller, (1993) p27. R. Close & A Riches, Ayrshire and Arran, The Buildings of Scotland, (2012) p668. Information from hotel website: www.turnberry.co.uk (accessed 06-09-12).Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 19-03-13). Canmore database at Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland, REF: SC680931-9. Academy Architecture 25 1904 p.77 (plan, ill).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TURNBERRY HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2024 21:49