Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ISLE OF ARRAN, WHITING BAY, ST COLUMBA'SLB6790

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/08/1995
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Kilbride
NGR
NS 04629 26661
Coordinates
204629, 626661

Description

Earlier 19th century; extended later 19th century. Single storey, and single storey and attic, L-plan former school and manse. Stugged and snecked cream sandstone, slate roof. Base course, chamfered angles with bracketted skewputts, coped end stacks; single 8-pane timber sash and case windows to earlier part, bipartite 2-pane and single 4-pane elsewhere, chamfered jambs.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable to right, gabled ashlar doorpiece to left, shouldered at base with bracketted skewputts and decorative

bargeboards to shallow slate roof, 2-leaf panelled door with fanlight and moulded jambs; single bay slightly recessed to left with window to ground floor and gabled dormerheaded window above.

E (FACING ROAD): bipartite window to left with bracketted slab canopy,

gabled dormerheaded window above (eaves cut-back); 2 lower earlier bays slightly recessed to right with 2 windows.

N ELEVATION: gable to left, doorpiece to centre similar to that on S elevation but roof removed and door blocked, small figure in niche above; various small additions recessed to right within re-entrant angle.

INTERIOR: ribbed coomb ceiling to former schoolroom, plain cornices, decorative cast-iron balusters to staircase.

Statement of Special Interest

The earlier part of this building may be that referred to in the NSA as the Assembly School, (schools, established by the Church of Scotland from 1823). According to MacKenzie, the head of this school was rich with a salary of 25 per annum, the quality of salary apparently reflecting the quality of the building which was significantly higher than most other schools. The original building appears to have been raised, with the extension perhaps being added in 1873 when the adjoining former parish church was built. The building has also been used as a manse, and is shown as such on the 2nd edition of the Ordnance Survey map (1895).

References

Bibliography

NSA (written 1837), revised 1840, published 1845), vol V, p35; W M MacKenzie, THE BOOK OF ARRAN (1914), Vol II, p160; Robert McLellan, THE ISLE OF ARRAN (1970), pp201-7; 1st edition OS map (surveyed 1864); 2nd edition OS map (1895).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ISLE OF ARRAN, WHITING BAY, ST COLUMBA'S

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 02:07