Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BRODICK CASTLE ESTATE, ICE HOUSELB6775

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
08/08/1995
Supplementary Information Updated
29/06/2021
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Kilbride
NGR
NS 01468 37757
Coordinates
201468, 637757

Description

Probably 18th or early 19th century. Domed structure under earthen mound, with low retaining walls of ashlar to each side of entrance. Timber door with barred opening. INTERIOR: Ashlar lined vaulted chamber with concave floor. Voissoirs to each side of hatch in vault.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of A Group at Brodick Castle Estate comprising: Brodick Castle; Bavarian Summerhouse; Cnocan Burn Road Bridge; Greenhyde and Castle Cottages; Ice House; Walled Garden; the Nursery; Main Gates, West Gates and Coastal Boundary Walls; South Gates; Sylvania and Brodick Kennels.

This ice house is an important ancillary component of the Brodick Castle Estate and is a good example of its type and period. Ice houses were integral features of country estates in the 18th and 19th centuries. They served as cold stores for food, which would be hung on hooks above packed ice collected from ponds and rivers and were usually earthed over and covered with vegetation to increase insulation. This is an example of the classic Scottish ice house design, having an egg-shaped chamber of stone approached by a tunnel.

In the early 20th century, the Brodick Castle Estate Ice House was filled with rubble and covered over. It was excavated in the 1970s but the approach corridor collapsed and was removed, leaving the lower courses as retaining walls. A photograph, dated 1993, shows the entrance with a barred metal gate that preceeded the current timber door.

Brodick Castle Estate, now a discreet entity, was originally the nucleus of the Lands of Arran. Fought over during the Scottish War of Independence, it was transformed into an Earldom and granted to James Hamilton by his cousin, King James IV, in 1503. The Isle of Arran remained as one of the minor estates of the Dukes of Hamilton until the late 19th century. Agricultural improvements in the 18th century, culminating in the clearances of the early 19th century, eventually displaced the small scale and subsistence farming on the island. In the mid-19th, improved transportation made Brodick an attractive picturesque resort and hunting destination for the Hamiltons and the castle was substantially rebuilt with the area around it laid out as gardens and pleasure grounds. On the death of the 12th Duke, in 1895, Brodick passed to the future Duchess of Montrose. In 1957 the Castle and the policies immediately surrounding were conveyed to the National Trust for Scotland.

List description revised as part of the National Trust for Scotland Estates Review, 2010-11.

References

Bibliography

Argyllshire 1st Edition OS Map (surveyed 1864). Landskip and Prospect The Policies & Gardens at Brodick Castle & Country Park Landscape Survey (1996). G Stell, J Shaw & S Storer Scotland's Buildings (2003), p198. Historic Scotland Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland. National Trust for Scotland archives. Additional information from Ken Thorburn, Brodick Castle Property Manager; Kinlay Laidlaw, National Trust for Scotland Area Surveyor (2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRODICK CASTLE ESTATE, ICE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 23:10