Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ISLE OF ARRAN, WHITING BAY, BURLINGTON HOUSE (HOTEL), INCLUDING HOUSE TO REAR, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB6774

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
08/08/1995
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Kilbride
NGR
NS 04635 26948
Coordinates
204635, 626948

Description

D Woodburn Sturrock, circa 1905. 2-storey and attic, Arts and Crafts-style villa. Bull-faced red sandstone coursers, ashlar dressings, harl, slate roof. Timber sash and case windows, single pane to bottom, multi-pane to top, some casements; bracketted eaves, corniced ashlar and harled stacks with uniform terracotta cans, cast-iron rainwater goods.

FRONT ELEVATION: door flanked by windows at recessed central bay, slated canopy above, 4-light window to 1st floor with 2 centre lights breaking through eaves, 4-light dormer; gable advanced to left, 4-light canted window with flat roof, rounded angle to ground floor right, 3-light oriel to 1st floor, bipartite to timbered and harled jettied gable; gable advanced to right, tripartite window to ground floor, rounded gable to left, harled 1st floor with tripartite window.

LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: masonry bay to right with single window at ground floor, harled to left with bipartite window, window to 1st floor with gabled dormerhead and stack to left.

RIGHT RETURN ELEVATION: similar to left return, in mirror image.

INTERIOR: little altered.

HOUSE TO REAR: single storey and attic, harled 'summer' house.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 3 coped ashlar gatepiers, saddleback-coped rubble and snecked rubble boundary walls.

References

Bibliography

ACADEMY ARCHITECTURE (1905), pp89 and 108.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ISLE OF ARRAN, WHITING BAY, BURLINGTON HOUSE (HOTEL), INCLUDING HOUSE TO REAR, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 01:50