Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
NS 90116 55310
290116, 655310


1836. Tapered sandstone column (with remnants of paint). Square-plan plinth, shaft diminishing with corbelled cornice as capital, supporting narrow band, terminating in conical finial rounded at apex.

S faceshaft inscribed: IN MEMORY of CAMERON, CARGILL, RENWICK, And Their Brethren, Who worshipped, on this spot, In the time, of the last, persecution. They jeopardised, their lives, unto the death, in the high places of the field.


Statement of Special Interest

Cargill and Renwick were Covenanter martyrs who hid on Auchterhead Muir when on the run following the defeat of the Covenant army lead by James Graham of Claverhouse, Duke of Montrose. They are reputed to have worshipped at a secret chapel on the site of the monument and to have been hidden at nearby Darngavel Steading, now ruinous. Cambusnethan and the surrounding area of N. Lanarkshire have a strong historical connection with the Covenanters and was again an area of religious dissent in the 19th century leading up to the Disruption. The Covenanters or Cameronians changed their name to the Reformed Presbyterian Church in 1690 and today Wishaw is still home to one of only five RP congregations in Scotland. Sir Walter Scott's novel Old Mortality, based upon the wars of the Covenant, reports in the preface that Old Mortality was an old man Scott know in his youth who travelled around Scotland recarving the names on the headstones of the Covenant martyrs. There is some evidence that this tradition has been kept alive through to this day with freshly recarved headstones being noted in the graveyard at Cupar Old Kirk. In this light it is interesting to note that the inscription on the Darmead-Lin monument appears fresh and painted whilst the rest is under moss and lichen.



No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHTERHEAD MUIR, COVENANTERS MONUMENT, DARMEAD-LIN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2024 20:48