Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CRICHTON MANSE INCLUDING GARDEN BUILDINGS, RAILINGS AND GARDEN WALLSLB6681

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/08/1995
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Crichton
NGR
NT 38033 61658
Coordinates
338033, 661658

Description

1758, with earlier 19th century addition and alteration. 2-storey, 5-bay manse. Raised basement on falling ground and 2-storey addition. Pink sandstone random rubble with ashlar dressings, droved quoins; some relieving arches; basement area and wallhead raised in yellow sandstone rubble.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: ashlar porch with chamfered angles, cornice and blocking course to door at centre, on steps oversailing basement; 4-panelled door, rectangular plate glass fanlight, glazed sides and cupola. Wall mounted sundial with gnomon partly obscured by cupola abutting cill of squat rectangular window above. Small windows to each floor of flanking bay, those to the right blinded, Regular windows to outer bays. Rubble parapets to steps with 1 ashlar pier to left.

W (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 3-bay with 2-storey gabled addition projecting at centre to basement and principal floor. Doors to basement in outer bays (glazed doors) and regular fenestration above. Addition with 2 windows to basement and tripartite window to principal floor (possibly enlarged from single window in 19th century with some stone renewed in 1994); gablehead wall-mounted sundial with gnomon; gablehead stack above; 2 canted 19th century dormers above outer bays.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: window to left at ground and 2 new windows at 1st floor. Almost blank side elevations to rear projection with opening to basement left and window to far left of principal floor.

S ELEVATION: modern conservatory/ greenhouse at ground floor, wall-mounted sundial with gnomon at 1st floor and small window to attic to left of gablehead. Rear addition with window to basement and principal floor to left, 2 irregular windows to basement at right and window above.

Small-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Wallhead stone stacks. Graded grey slate roof with overhanging eaves; flush roof light to principal elevation; modern roof light to rear; both at centre.

INTERIOR: some good plasterwork cornices. Simple stone chimneypiece. Boarded dado to bathroom.

OUTBUILDINGS: single storey gabled random rubble outbuilding with square dressings, sited at NW, with door and square 4-pane window to N elevation; W gable end with 6-pane window at centre and gablehead stack; graded slates and ashlar coped skews. Lean-to stone shed adjoining to E.

RAILINGS: fine wrought-iron arrowhead railings to principal elevation, lining basement area.

GARDEN WALLS: rubble sandstone garden wall with coping and pedestrian gateway.

Statement of Special Interest

Crichton Kirk lies to the SE. The unusual proliferation of wall mounted sundials (3) and their survival is of particular interest. The Statistical Account dated the building to 1758, but added that "with a small repair, might be made an excellent house": the New Statistical Account shows that these improvements must have taken place (perhaps while the addition was being added), as it describes the manse as "in very good repair" in August 1839, with between 6 and 7 acres of glebe supporting it.

References

Bibliography

STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1795), Vol XIV, p437. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1839), Vol 1, pp60-61.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CRICHTON MANSE INCLUDING GARDEN BUILDINGS, RAILINGS AND GARDEN WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 04:02