Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 38921 64719
338921, 664719


Probably William Burn, circa 1840. Single storey, gabled, Picturesque T-plan lodge with Tudor details; porch in re-entrant angle. Stugged sandstone ashlar; chamfered arrises; tall, moulded, polygonal and corniced stacks.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: basket-arched doorway in gabled stone porch in re-entrant angle, narrow window to left return, adjoining main house to right return; main house: recessed bay to left with curved outshot chimney with sawtooth coping rising into pedestalled wallhead stack, blank shield motif on panelled pedestal and 2 individually moulded stacks; broad gabled bay to right of porch with corniced canted window and blocking course.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: catslide projection in re-entrant angle to right; blank gable to left with window to right return, later lean-to to left return.

S ELEVATION: gabled end with projecting tripartite window to ground floor, corbelled wallhead above with blind arrowslit detail.

N ELEVATION: later single storey harled lean-to addition concealing original elevation, modern timber door to right return.

2-pane and 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to most, fixed diamond quarry panes to side. Gabled grey slate roof with zinc ridging and decorative timber barge boarding to each gable. Concealed painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Further pair of fluted stacks, one barley sugar, bridge linked on pedestal to centre of roof. Felted flat roof on rear extension with harled stack.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: stugged ashlar wall to S with corniced coping. 3 polygonal, ashlar gatepiers to drive and pedestrian gate with studded neck detail and corniced caps bearing armorial shield facetted blocks. Decorative 2 cast-iron gates to drive, single pedestrian gate. Semi-circular-coped rubble walls to W and N with squat, corniced ashlar pier at junction.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an A-group with Oxenfoord Castle, Middle Lodge, North Lodge, etc. Situated about a mile from the North Lodge, the South Lodge was described by the Rev. John Dickson as a "beautiful little residence" in the early 20th century. Unlike the other lodges, whose designs resemble parts of the castle, this design takes its inspiration from Elizabethan architecture and is stylistically linked to Cranstoun Riddel, the former residence of Lord Stair's factor. The most outstanding features of the lodge are its ornate chimneys. As William Burn was working on the estate from 1840 and the style of the lodge echoes others by him, the attribution to Burn is likely. The North Lodge and Middle Lodge are listed separately.



Rev John Dickson, CRANSTOUN: A PARISH HISTORY (1907) p134.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OXENFOORD POLICIES, SOUTH LODGE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2023 12:49