Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DENOVAN HOUSE, DUNIPACELB6631

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
06/02/1992
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Parish
Denny
NGR
NS 82036 83372
Coordinates
282036, 683372

Description

2-storey and basement villa, with complex building sequence, largely of mid 19th century appearance, but incorporating periods of earlier and later work. Circa mid-later 18th century Georgian villa, possibly of 2 different dates at core, substantially recast in 1843-45 in the manner of Burn and Bryce (Jacobethan style), with entirely new S front and partial interior remodelling. Large 1911 additions to rear (N).

1840'S ELEVATIONS: cream polished ashlar with channelled rustication at ground floor, long and short rusticated quoins, plinth and basecourse, cornice between ground and 1st floors; plain frieze swept to dentilled cornice, with vigorously moulded consoles in frieze above windows, advanced bays pedimented or with blocking courses, plain parapet elsewhere; side (E and W) elevations of 1840's period of finely-

tooled squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Architraved single and tripartite windows; projecting window bays with openwork strapwork parapets. Timber sash and case windows, each sash in 1840's windows divided horizontally into 2 panes. Shallow-pitched slated roofs; grouped, square-shafted ashlar stacks.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay, full-height pedimented projecting bay to left, 2-window set-back centre, overlaid to left with entrance porch; advanced full-height rectangular bay to right. Porch with lugged and cured 'baroque' style architraved doorpiece, moulded keystone and openwork parapet; ashlar seat within porch to left.

Georgian elevations visible only to left of side (W) elevation and to right of rear (N) elevation; large harled additions of 1911 period mask rear elevation to left.

CONSERVATORY: to right of S front, attached to E gable. Circa later 19th century, built over site of side wing: timber and cast-iron with mullioned windows with leaded upper lights. Pitched roof, with pitched-roofed clerestory with cast-iron cresting at ridge; apex finial to SW gable.

INTERIOR: 3 unaltered principal rooms at ground floor: to E a DRAWING ROOM with Caroline-style interior, including moulded door architraves with curved and corniced Caroline-style interior, including moulded door architraves with curved and corniced Caroline-style over-doors, doors and cupboard doors panelled below, glazed over dado in geometrical designs; baroque marble chimneypiece with ionic fluted column stiles with canted volutes, pulvinated frieze, dentiled and corniced entablature, and relief carvings to slip, central tablet with high-relief mask carving, floral swags flanking, original brass of grate and gilt rococco mirror overmantel (painted); cornice and gilt plasterwork border to ceiling; 4 original pendant lights; 19th century curtains with pelments.

To W, BILLIARD and DINING ROOMS, both with very elaborate Jacobethan-style interior schemes, remodelled during 1840s period. DINING ROOM: very elaborate Jacobethan strapwork cornice and vigorously moulded plasterwork ceiling; chimneypiece circa 1800, recast in 1840's wsith large consoles and mouldings in Jacobethan manner, original circa 1800 brass grate; 19th century curtains with pelmets; black and gold paint scheme. BILLIARD ROOM: similar to dinning room, with strapwork plasterwork cornice; some alterations.

STAIR HALL: remodelled in 1840's: half-height wainscot, panelled 2-leaf doors, architraves and Caroline-style overdoors; Jacobethan-style plasterwork ceiling. Timber staircase with 6-light stained glass windows at half-landing. Chimneypiece removed to steading (1992).

Large cast-iron safe in (modernised kitchen adjacent to dining room. FIRST FLOOR bedrooms simpler, proportions and joinery revealing 2 different periods: circa 1840's remodelling largely at W rooms, with floor stepping down and ceiling-heights reduced in Georgian rooms to E. Georgian kitchen in basement to E, and ex situ pieces of Georgian grates.

GATEPIERS: pair short cream polished ashlar piers of 1843-45 period on entrance to house, square-plan with arched recessed planes to each elevation, arches with keyblocks at apices, and rounded corniced caps.

Statement of Special Interest

Lands belongs to James Johnstone of Denovan until Mr James Grahasm Adam acquired a portion of the estate, with a bleachfield, and altered and hugely extended the house in 1843-5. The Mitchells of Carron Iron Co also once lived here.

Mid 19th century stables and offices to N now altered.

Plan RHP 1497A shows a house at the centre of radiating formal avenues to each point on the compass, and diagonally, like a saltire cross, and with a bleachfield to the E.

References

Bibliography

GRH RHP 1497A, plan of properties on the River Carron, circa 1755-68, showing plan of Denovan house prior to 19th century alterations, set at the centre of formal avenues.

GRH RHP 48933, plan of part of Denovan estate, as proposed to be entailed 1797 (traced 1859).

LARBERT AND DUNIPACE, John C Gibson, 1908, pp165, 166.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DENOVAN HOUSE, DUNIPACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/06/2024 06:43