Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

THORN STREET, THE THORN, INCLUDING CARRIAGE AND PEDESTRIAN GATEWAYS AND BOUNDARY WALLS, WASHOUSE & STABLE BLOCKLB6377

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/03/1992
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Earlston
NGR
NT 57314 38489
Coordinates
357314, 638489

Description

Circa 1830. 2-storey villa built into sloping site and adjoining terrace to N: 2 principal elevations to S and W (see notes). Soft cream stugged coursed sandstone (badly weathered) with polished ashlar dressings to S and W; long and short quoins; rendered to E and N. Base course, dividing and eaves band courses; deep cornice; blocking course; quoin strips; architraved windows.

S (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: appears as single storey and basement; 3-bay. cast-iron balusters to steps to central entrance; pilastered doorpiece (rendered repairs); deep set panelled door; umbrella fanlight. Tripartite windows in flanking bays. Single windows to basement.

W (THORN STREET) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay. Central architraved and corniced doorpiece, boarded door; letterbox fanlight; single window at 1st floor above. Single windows in outer bays to left and right.

E ELEVATION: single window to each floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: droved red sandstone dressings to windows at ground and 1st floors. Secondary entrance and single window set in depressed arch at return to adjoining terrace.

12-pane sash and case windows. Grey-purple slate piended roof; panelled and corniced stacks; tall moulded octagonal cans; some original rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: glazed tripartite 2-leaf vestiblue door set in depressed arch with umbrella fanlight; moulded door and window frames; panelled doors and shutters; decorative plasterwork; cast-iron balusters and timber handrail to central stairwell; marble chimneypieces, cast-iron grate; depresssed-arch passage running W to E beneath 1st floor of adjoining property to N.

CARRIAGE AND PEDESTRIAN GATEWAYS AND BOUNDARY WALL: segmental arched carriage gateway through high coped rubble boundary walls; corniced red ashlar pedestrian gateway to SW. Spearheaded iron gate and railings surmounting boundary wall to SW; white marble drinking fountain set in wall to S "to the memory of John Young, Doctor in Earlston 1884-1934". WASHHOUSE AND STABLE BLOCK: ranged along N boundary wall: single storey and loft. Timber doors; brick piers and S elevation probably rebuilt in early 20th century, slated piended roof.

Statement of Special Interest

The house stands on ground formerly known as Thorn Park on account of an ancient thorn which once grew there. The site is thus marked on the Ordnance Survey maps. In 1825 the land was feued to one "John Spence, writer in Earlston", who subsequently built the house and other outbuildings. Presumably the house was designed so that Spence could conduct his business from offices entered from the W, whilst the private living quarters were entrered from the S. For many years the house was owned by doctors who operated a similar arrangement.

References

Bibliography

Title Deeds. OS 1853. OS 1898.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to THORN STREET, THE THORN, INCLUDING CARRIAGE AND PEDESTRIAN GATEWAYS AND BOUNDARY WALLS, WASHOUSE & STABLE BLOCK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/01/2022 19:47