Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

AMULREE AND STRATHBRAAN PARISH CHURCH WITH GRAVEYARD, GATES AND GATEPIERSLB6362

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
10/07/1991
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Dull
NGR
NN 89893 36581
Coordinates
289893, 736581

Description

Possibly by John Douglas of Edinburgh, begun 1743, building work interrypted by the '45 ; completed 1752, with alterations and additions of 1881 and 1958. Simple rectangular-plan church with circa 1881 porch and stair tower adjoining W gable, and window to E gable. Harled with ashlar margins, grey slates, skews removed.

S ling flank wall has 6 round-headed windows with distinctive (?1881) glazing, panes mostly horizontal but each window incorporating a single, decorative diamond pane. N flank wall is blind, but with (?18th century) stair turret/?loft at E end. Large Y-traceried window in E gable also presumably 1881.

Large circular window in E gable, belfry with 1519 (dated) bell; lean-to 19th century porch.

INTERIOR: remodelled in 1881 with gallery, grained woodwork, timber beamed roof.

20th century communion table, pulpit and screen with Gothic relief carving at E end, large window above of circa 1881, depicting Faith, Hope and Charity. Subdivided in 1958 to provide Meeting Room and Sunday School beneath gallery, which was retained but enclosed, now (1991) in use as storage space.

Rubble walled GRAVEYARD with pair of rubble drum GATEPIERS to E with ball finials, wrought-iron gates. Some 18th century tabletop gravestones, and some stones with Gothick detailing remain.

Statement of Special Interest

The church was built as a chapel of ease for the Established Church between 1743 and 1752; building was interrupted by the '45 Rebellion. The site, with house and glebe was given by the heritor John Menzies of Shian, a Jacobite who was killed at Culloden. The architect was possibly John Douglas who also designed the church at Killin in 1743 and was working at Taymouth Castle in 1746. A reference is made in the Breadalba ne Papers to a "Mr Douglas" working at Amulree in 1750. On completion in 1752, the church became a Royal Bounty Station, as referred to in the OSA; the NSA of 1842 gives the minister's salary at $65, "paid entirely out of Royal Bounty". Amulree was not estabished as a parish until 1871, appearing in the Statistical Accounts for Dull and Fowlis Wester. The church was renovated in 1881 at a cost of $900 (see Groome, who maintains this was a rebuild), when coins dated 1745 were found in the rafters (see N Enniskillen). Further work took place in 1958. The church was linked with Aberfeldy in 1973; in 1991 the church is again within Dull Parish. The bell bears a Flemish inscription, cast in 1519 stylistically attributed to van den Ghein of Malines (Belgium); there are other Ghein bells in Perthshire; at St John's, Perth, Dunning and Comrie churches. Van den Ghein also cast the bell for Henry VIII's ship, the Mary Rose. Nancy Enniskillen's book gives an account of the church and parish history.

References

Bibliography

H Scott, FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE (1923) p175.

Nancy Enniskillen, AMULREE AND ITS CHURCH (1990).

F Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER (1882) p49.

SRO GD 112/25 318/66 BREADALBANE PAPERS.

OSA (1793) Vol 6, p199, Dull Parish.

NSA (1842) Vol 10, p779, Dull Parish,p261 Fowlis Wester Parish.

NMRS Exhibition Catalogue.

John Douglas (1898).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AMULREE AND STRATHBRAAN PARISH CHURCH WITH GRAVEYARD, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/07/2024 06:05