Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Braid Hills Hotel excluding the linking block and 1-6 Pentland Terrace to the south, the single-storey addition to the west and the detached former stable block to the east, 134 Braid Road, EdinburghLB52543

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
21/01/2020
Supplementary Information Updated
22/01/2020
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Parish
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24310 69980
Coordinates
324310, 669980

Description

A two-storey and attic, hotel (1893-94 with 1898 additions) in the Scots Baronial style, designed by George Lyle and William Constable for the Braid Hills Hotel Company. Prominently sited at the foot of the Braid Hills in the Greenbank area of South Edinburgh, the hotel is constructed of pale, squared sandstone masonry with red sandstone ashlar dressings.

There is an engaged tower with conical cap at the northwest corner of the principal elevation and a similar tower to the west elevation. The advanced gables have stepped corbels, crowstepped skews and ornamental finials. There are carved hood-mouldings to main windows, and modillions at the eaves level. The main entrance to the north elevation has a semi-circular porch. There is a mix of timber-framed and plastic replacement windows. The roof has a covering of grey slate.

The interior (seen 2019) has been refurbished, retaining some elements of its late 19th-century decorative scheme including ornamental cornicing to the ground floor public rooms and principal bedrooms and hardwood doorcases. The main public staircase has timber bannisters and, at the half-landing there are decorative stained-glass windows featuring the 19th century Scottish golfers, Ben Sayers from North Berwick and the Kirkaldy brothers from St Andrews. A secondary stair has a curving hardwood handrail and cast iron bannisters.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: the linking block and 1-6 Pentland Terrace to the south, the single-storey addition to the west and the detached former stable block to the east.

Historical development

The site at the foot of the Braid Hills in Edinburgh was purchased by the Braid Hills Hotel Company in 1893 for the purpose of 'erecting a hotel, club house, hydropathic establishment or sanatorium thereon' (Dundee Courier, 1893). The hotel opened in October 1894, advertising itself as the 'home of golf' with 'seventeen golf courses within a radius of fourteen miles' (South Wales Echo, 1895). After the hotel opened, Braid Road and the surrounding area developed quickly as a suburban outward continuation from South Morningside.

The footprint of the hotel is first shown on John Bartholomew's 1895 Plan of Edinburgh, Leith and Suburbs. The single-storey outshot to the east (with crossed golf clubs) appears from map evidence to have been part of the original design in 1894. This part of the hotel was initially a golf room, with club lockers, serving golfers playing the nearby Braid Hills public golf courses.

A twelve-bedroom extension was added to the south by Lyle and Constable in the Baronial style in 1898. The Edinburgh Suburban Hotels Company was set up in 1900 to sell shares in the Braid Hills Hotel (and the Barnton Hotel near Cramond) to provide capital to meet increasing business demands (Dundee Courier, 1900).

The footprint of the extended hotel is shown on the 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (revised, 1905). Further extensions were added to the south during the 1930s, linking the hotel to neighbouring 1-6 Pentland Terrace. The interiors of this terraced row of houses were remodelled to provide additional hotel accommodation. Historical photographs indicate that the glazed semi-circular porch was added to the front of the hotel after 1932 and before 1955. The hotel currently has 71 bedrooms (2019).

Statement of Special Interest

The Braid Hills Hotel meets the criteria of special architectural or historic interest for the following reasons:

  • For its Scots Baronial architectural design, with turrets and crowstepped gables to the exterior and stained glass windows to the interior, which survives largely intact.
  • As a prominently sited, landmark building in Edinburgh.
  • As an early example of a purpose-built suburban hotel in Scotland.
  • For its social and economic history, as part of the golfing and tourism boom in and around Edinburgh towards the end of the 19th century

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: the linking block and 1-6 Pentland Terrace to the south, the single-storey addition to the west and the detached former stable block to the east.

Architectural interest

Design

The purpose-built Braid Hills Hotel is designed to look like a Scottish country house, using the Scots Baronial architectural style. While the popularity of this style was in decline by around 1900, it was used here to capture a recognisable and typically Scottish historical architectural style that would be suitable for a destination hotel promoting sporting and outdoor leisure pursuits. The historicist architectural treatment gives the building a sense of age and grandeur, which was meant to appeal specifically to a golf-playing, tourist clientele. The northwest corner tower is particularly well detailed with castle-like water spouts at the turret and a steeply-pitched conical roof cap. The detailing of the principal elevations remains largely intact.

While the interior scheme in the public spaces and principal bedrooms has been partly remodelled, the surviving features of late 19th century character such as the doorpieces, staircases, decorative cornicing and golf-themed figurative stained glass, add to the special interest.

The architect, George Alexander Lyle (1845-1905) was assistant to Robert Reid Raeburn, continuing in practice as Raeburn & Lyle after Raeburn's death in 1888. By 1895 he had taken William Constable (b.1863) into partnership. Constable was architect for the Grange, Mortonhall, Blackford and Greenbank Estates in Edinburgh. His known work is mostly confined to these areas, and in Musselburgh where he resided. Lyle and Constable also designed the terraced houses on Braid Hills Road (Nos 168-172), Riselaw Road and Pentland Terrrace, and the former Barnton Hotel (LB48508, listed at category C), near Cramond for the Barnton Hotel Company.

Setting

The Braid Hills Hotel is a landmark building in Edinburgh, prominently sited on a levelled site on the lower slopes of the Braid Hills near a popular municipal golf course in the Greenbank area of the city. The suburban residential character and settlement pattern of the hotel's immediate setting has changed little since the mid-20th century.

The hotel is orientated to take advantage of its elevated hillside position, with views of Edinburgh Castle, Arthurs Seat and the Fife hills to the north and east, and the Pentland Hills to the southwest. The distinctive Baronial roofline is visible from various locations across the city. The adjoining terraced row at 1-13A Pentland Terrace (not part of the listing) has a clasping turret at its southwest corner, adding unity to the entire block.

Historic interest

Age and rarity

The Braid Hills Hotel is an early example of a purpose-built suburban hotel in Edinburgh. There are many 19th century hotels in central Edinburgh, the Caledonian Hotel (LB29524) and the Balmoral (North British) Hotel (LB30315) being particularly large and luxurious examples. The absence of hotels on the outskirts of the city before 1900 indicates that to the tourist, Edinburgh was still mainly considered a transit point at that date (Buildings of Scotland, p.71). By the later 19th century, the surrounding areas of Edinburgh were being marketed as destinations in themselves and became increasingly popular.

The Braid Hills Hotel bears comparison with the 1895 former Barnton Hotel (LB48508) by Lyle and Constable on the north side the city. Both hotels initially featured integrated golf club rooms to serve newly established golf courses nearby. In this respect, they may be considered modest forerunners of the large golfing resort hotels established in the 20th century, such as the famous Gleneagles Hotel (LB4570) which opened in Perthshire in 1924.

Social historical interest

The Braid Hills Hotel was built to take advantage of the golf and tourism industry in and around Edinburgh at the end of the 19th century. The numerous nearby golf courses, and the 'clean mountain air' (in what was then still a largely undeveloped part of Edinburgh) were regularly promoted in the hotel's advertising until at least 1925.

The nearby Braid Hills golf course, which opened to the public in 1889, was one of the first municipal golf courses in Scotland. During its early years the Braid Hills Hotel included a golf room with club lockers, and local golf clubs competed for the Braid Hills Hotel Trophy (Glasgow Herald, 1897). The pair of crossed golf clubs on the east gable and the figurative golfing stained-glass windows continue to illustrate the historic link between the hotel and the sport.

The Braid Hills Hotel is briefly mentioned in Muriel Spark's famous Edinburgh-based novel, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1961).

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID: 191109

Maps

Bartholomew, J (1895-6) Plan of Edinburgh and Leith with Suburbs from Ordnance and Actual Surveys, constructed for the Post Office Directory.

Ordnance Survey (Revised 1893, Published 1896) Edinburghshire III.15 (Edinburgh), 1st Edition, 25 inches to 1 mile, Ordnance Survey: Southampton.

Ordnance Survey (Revised 1905, Published 1908) Edinburghshire III.15 (Edinburgh), 2nd Edition, 25 inches to 1 mile, Ordnance Survey: Southampton.

Printed Sources

Descriptive brochure concerning the Braid Hills Hotel as a health resort, Morningside, Edinburgh (1894), copy held with National Library of Scotland.

Dundee Courier (09/12/1893) Land feud by Braid Hills Hotel Company, p.3.

Dundee Courier (14/07/1900) Edinburgh Suburban Hotels Company Ltd, p.4.

Gifford J, McWilliam C, Walker D (2003) Buildings of Scotland – Edinburgh, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp.71, 624.

Glasgow Herald (30/08/1897) Plewland Golf Club – Braid Hills Hotel Trophy, p.10.

South Wales Echo (03/09/1895) Braid Hills Hotel, p.1.

Online Sources

Dictionary Scottish Architects, Braid Hills Hotel:

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=100559

Dictionary Scottish Architects, Lyle and Constable Architectural Practice: http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200862 [accessed, 2019].

Canmore.org.uk: Plan of The Braids Golf Course for Edinburgh (26/05/1888), from Edinburgh Evening Dispatch, Catalogue number: DP 198465: https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1448113

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Braid Hills Hotel front elevation, looking south from Braid Road, during daytime with white sky.
Braid Hills Hotel, west elevation, looking east from lower ground on Comiston Road, with white sky.

Printed: 08/12/2021 19:42