Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

The American Monument, Mull of Oa, IslayLB52472

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
27/04/2018
Supplementary Information Updated
04/05/2018
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Kildalton
NGR
NR 27055 41545
Coordinates
127055, 641545

Description

The American Monument is a stone memorial tower around 20m tall, with a diameter of around 10m at the base, tapering towards a conical top. The tower occupies an isolated location, set on a raised rocky platform on a coastal cliff edge at around 130m above sea level, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean on the Mull of Oa. The memorial commemorates some 550 American soldiers lost in two separate maritime disasters off the coast of Islay in 1918.

The monument was commissioned by the American Red Cross in 1918 and was designed and built in 1920, as inscribed on the monument, by architect Robert James Walker, and George Read & Son, builders, Catrine. It is a rubble stone tower constructed of dark grey local stone collected from the surrounding cliffs, with pale rubble contrasting banding and sandstone ashlar detailing.

Stone steps on the north east side of the tower lead to the primary dedication, a two metre tall brass plaque set within a large carved stone moulded architrave appearing as a doorway. Directly above is a small cast bronze American eagle clutching a wreath in both talons, partly set in a smaller roll-moulded architrave. The plaque is dedicated to the American soldiers and sailors lost in the wrecks of the transports SS Tuscania and HMS Otranto. It also bears a quote from a poem by Theodore O'Hara, "Bivouac of the Dead", published in 1850: "On Fame's Eternal camping ground, their silent tents are spread, While Glory keeps with solemn round, the bivouac of the dead."

Further up the tower in line with the plaque is an octagonal moulded date stone, inscribed with the date 1918 and two carvings of an American star and a Scottish thistle. Towards the top of the tower are two parallel bands of lighter rubble work with regularly spaced, small square niches with darker stone which appear as windows.

A small circular bronze wreath plaque is located at ground level, on a concrete plinth at the seaward side of the tower. This plaque contains a personal tribute to the memory of his fellow citizens from Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States of America from 4 March 1913 to 4 March 1921.

Statement of Special Interest

Placed in a prominent coastal setting, the American Monument at Islay is a rare example of a war memorial that is associated with American casualties of war in the United Kingdom. The design is a sensitive interpretation of a lighthouse or watchtower building type, looking directly on to the site of the sinking of American ships during the First World War. The monument is associated with nationally important historical events and its conception is well-documented.

The American Monument on Islay is the only memorial to some 550 American soldiers lost on the SS Tuscania and HMS Otranto, approximately half the total American lives lost during the Atlantic Operation of the First World War.

In our current state of knowledge the building is considered to meet the criteria for listing.

Age and Rarity

The American Monument on Islay is the only memorial to more than 550 American soldiers lost on the SS Tuscania and HMS Otranto, approximately half the total American soldiers lives lost during the Atlantic Operation of the First World War. The dead from SS Tuscania represented the first American combat casualties in the First World War, and the largest single loss of American lives since the American Civil War some 50 years earlier.

Soon after the sinking of SS Tuscania on 5 February 1918, the suggestion was made at the American Red Cross Headquarters in London that the installation of a suitable monument on Islay should be considered as a tribute to the memory of the American soldiers who had lost their lives in the service of their country, remote from the general theatre of war.

After the sinking of HMS Otranto on 6 October 1918, plans for the monument were modified by the American Red Cross as a memorial to both ships. The original plan for a plain granite shaft was replaced with, what was felt to be, a more appropriate design for the rocky surroundings and one in keeping with the island tradition of watchtowers and cairns to mark important and significant sites.

Monuments erected to the fallen dead of the First World War are common across Scotland and were built in their hundreds in local communities around the country. A great number of these memorials were adapted and expanded following the Second World War and are not rare. Many are of simple standard design, such as the ubiquitous Celtic cross. Those which are of notable design and that may commemorate a significant event in the history of national conflict may be of interest for listing.

The American Monument still retains its original plan and form and its conception is well recorded in documents held by the American Red Cross. It was specifically designed for its setting as a watchtower or lighthouse facing out towards the sea. A significant connection also exists to historically important events and the American Monument appears to be the only known memorial, in Scotland, to American servicemen lost in the First World War.

The quote on the main plaque from the "Bivouac of the Dead", a poem written by Theodore O'Hara to honour his fellow soldiers from Kentucky who died in the Mexican-American War (1847), is common on memorials and war cemeteries in America, but appears on only two in Scotland. The second memorial is the Dornoch War Memorial, dedicated in 1922 not to U.S war dead, but to those killed whilst serving in the 5th Seaforth Highlanders during the First World War.

Architectural or Historic Interest

Interior

The entrance is sealed and the interior is not meant to be accessible.

Plan form

The monument is designed to represent a traditional tower or cairn. It has retained its original plan form and appears unaltered.

Technological excellence or innovation, material or design quality

The tower was constructed in a similar manner to a lighthouse. The method involves building from the inside around a spiral staircase, working upwards constructing the staircase and walls simultaneously. Once the American Monument was built, the entrance was sealed and the memorial plaque added where the entrance had been. The tower was constructed of local stone collected from the surrounding area, and oral tradition on the island tells of locals collecting the rocks from the local cliffs in lamb carts, and hauling them up to the construction site. The monument shares some design aspects with the First Washington Monument, located approximately four miles (6.4 km) east of Boonsboro, Maryland.

Setting

The tower occupies an isolated, exposed location on top of high sea cliffs, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean within the Oa Nature Reserve on the Mull of Oa, at the southwest corner of the island of Islay. A well-marked path leads through fields and rough grazing from a car park at Upper Killeyan Farm to the monument, a distance of just over 1km.

This is a site of remembrance and was specifically chosen because the wreck sites of the Otranto and Tuscania, where so many Americans perished, are nearby and both visible from the monument. There has been no change to the setting since the date the monument was erected.

Regional variations

There are no known regional variations.

Close Historical Associations

The American Monument has a close historical association with an event of national and international importance which took place in the coastal waters of Scotland in 1918. The loss of some 550 American soldiers in connection with the wrecking incidents of the SS Tuscania and HMS Otranto represents approximately half the total American soldiers lives lost during the Atlantic Operation of the First World War. This event figured highly in the American consciousness, with the president at the time, Woodrow Wilson, offering a rare personal tribute to his fellow U.S. citizens.

During the First World War, approximately two million American servicemen were successfully transported across the Atlantic Ocean to England and France. Of the many troopships travelling eastward, German U-boats torpedoed three, one of which was SS Tuscania, on 5 February 1918, with the loss of over 200 American soldiers. It was the largest loss of American life on a single day since the Civil War over 50 years earlier. The only other troopship lost crossing the Atlantic was the HMS Otranto, on 6 October 1918, with over 350 American soldiers lost in the disaster, making this the single most costly loss incurred in overseas transport of American troops during the First World War.

SS Tuscania was torpedoed on the 5 February 1918 by U-Boat UB-77 under the command of Commander Wilhelm Meyer, sinking the ship and resulting in the loss of around 250 personnel, the majority of which were American soldiers. The monument overlooks the site of the wreck of SS Tuscania, some 7 miles of the southern end of the Mull of Oa.

The second incident took place on 6 October 1918, involving the troopship HMS Otranto, under the command of Captain Ernest G W Davidson. Otranto was accidently rammed by HMS Kashmir and later sank, resulting in the loss of some 470 lives, again the majority being American Soldiers. The site of the wreck of Otranto lies at the south west end of Machir Bay, which is also visible from the monument.

References

Bibliography

Canmore

http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 37286

Printed Sources

Ritchie, J.N.G., and Harman, M. (1996) Argyll and the Western Isles, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series, ed. by Anna Ritchie. 2nd edition. Edinburgh. P.37

Walker, F A. (2000) Argyll and Bute, The buildings of Scotland series. London. P. 59

Scott, R.N. (2012) Many Were Held by the Sea: The Tragic Sinking of HMS Otranto, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Lanham, MD.

Saunders, D. (1996) British's maritime memorials & mementoes P.147. Patrick Stephens ltd Sparkford

Online Sources

http://www.scottishshipwrecks.com/ Peter Moir & Ian Crawford, Scottish Shipwrecks - Otranto

https://archive.org/details/passinglegionsh00fifegoog George Buchanan Fife, The Passing Legions, How the American Red Cross met the American Army in Great Britain the gateway to France.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/44627 Imperial War Museum Search UK War Memorials

Washington Monument State Park". Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b2980531;view=1up;seq=34 Annual report of the Secretary of War

http://www.islayinfo.com/loss-troopship-tuscania-islay.html

http://www.armin-grewe.com/islay/islay-otranto.htm

https://uboat.net/wwi/types/?type=UB+III

All accessed January 2018.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

The American Monument, located on the cliff top at the southern end of Mull of Oa. Overlooking looking the site of the wreck of the SS Tuscania. Looking west, during daytime, on a clear day with patchy blue sky and stormy sea.
The American Monument, Mull of Oa, Islay, principal elevation, looking south west, during daytime, on a clear day with patchy blue sky.

Printed: 01/12/2022 17:24