Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Arbroath Community Centre (former Drill Hall), Marketgate, ArbroathLB52386

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/05/2016
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Arbroath
NGR
NO 64241 40719
Coordinates
364241, 740719

Description

This 3-storey, 3-bay, classical former townhouse on Marketgate dates from the late 1780s, while the 2-storey, 1-and 2-bay stepped flanking wings and the hall at the rear were designed and built by William Scott in 1883. The former house was also probably altered by him for use as offices and store rooms for the drill hall. The building was altered again when it was converted into a sports and community centre in 1969. The Marketgate (east) elevation is pink snecked sandstone with polished ashlar dressings and the side elevations are squared rubble with pinnings. There is a base course and an eaves course and the central entrance door has a pilastered and corniced doorpiece. There are raised long and short quoins at the corners of the Marketgate block, a segmental-arched opening (now infilled) to the lower right wing, and a full-width late 20th century glazed entrance to the left wing. There is mainly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows and there are grey slates on a piended roof.

The large hall at the rear with a roof ressembling an upturned boat is of squared rubble. The rear elevation is rendered, bowed and gabled and has a central door with a corniced doorpiece, a pair of tall round-arched windows and a round window in the gablehead.

The interior was seen in 2015. The former office section has some surviving 19th century interior details including timber panelled doors and plaster cornices. The hall is a large barrel shaped space with cast iron ribs supporting timber trusses and timber boarding infill and the viewing balcony is still in place at the east end.

Statement of Special Interest

The former drill hall in Marketgate was the headquarters of the Arbroath Rifle Volunteers from 1883 and the possibly unique design of the hall make this an unusual and interesting example of the building type. The offices were converted from a late 18th century townhouse at this time by the well-respected local architect and contractor William Scott with the hall built on the rear garden ground. Externally the hall has a very unusual roof which is curved at wallhead level rising to a point at the ridge, ressembling an upturned boat. Internally the riveted cast iron beams extend the full height of the hall, with no additional structural support walls or beams. This creates a single, very unusual, semi-circular space with no interruptions, reminiscent of later prefabricated structures used by the military in the 20th century. The tapering plan form of the hall with curved rear wall bounded at the west by the Brothock Water is also unusual. The building makes a significant contribution to the streetscapes in Marketgate and East Grimsby.

The nucleus of this building dates from the late 1780s and was the town residence of a county family, the Stirling Grahams of Duntrune. Clementina Stirling Graham (1782-1877) spent 'some of her early years' in the house (Dundee Courier, 6 December 1881). The footprint of the building appears on John Wood's map of 1822 which also shows a large garden to the west, running down to the Brothock Water.

A public meeting called with a view to the formation of a volunteer corps in Arbroath took place on 30 May 1859 and was chaired by the Provost of the town. At the end of the meeting it was resolved to set up a Corps and a large number of individuals came forward to sign up. By 1864 the Arbroath Volunteers still had no permanent home, demonstrated by the fact they paraded at Woodville, the mansion belonging to their commanding officer, Major Dickson.

The Marketgate building was purchased by the Angus Rifle Volunteers in 1881 at which time it was described as 'old but substantial' (Dundee Courier, 6 December 1881). The plan was to build the drill hall in the garden at the rear of the house and to convert the mansion into the armoury, reading rooms and other offices. Work had begun by March 1882 and was completed by 1883. The date 1883 appears on a datestone on the lower two-storey wing to the left of the Marketgate elevation. The cost of this new hall and conversion of the old building was about £3000. The interior of the front part of the building was altered when the building was converted into a sports and community centre in 1969. There are also some late 20th century alterations.

William Scott (ca 1831-1884) designed a wide range of buildings mainly in Arbroath including churches, mills and factories. The likely reason Scott was appointed architect for the drill hall was because he was a volunteer himself. He was one of the original members of the Arbroath Volunteers Rifles Corps and reached the rank of Sergeant, and was said to be an excellent marksman.

In the late 1850s there was concern in the British Government about the Army's ability to defend both the home nation as well as the Empire. Britain's military defences were stretched and resources to defend Britain needed to be found. One solution was to create 'Volunteer Forces', a reserve of men who volunteered for part-time military training similar to that of the regular army and who could therefore help to defend Britain if the need arose.

In 1859 the Rifle Volunteer Corps was formed and the Volunteer Act of 1863 provided more regulation on how the volunteer forces were run and it set out the standards for drills and a requirement for annual inspections. Most purpose-built drill halls constructed at this time were paid for by a major local landowner, the subscriptions of volunteers, local fundraising efforts or a combination of all three. The Regulation of the Forces Act 1871 (known as the Cardwell Reforms after the Secretary of State for War, Edward Cardwell) gave forces the legal right to acquire land to build a drill hall and more purpose-built drill halls began to be constructed after this date. The largest period of drill hall construction, aided by government grants, took place between 1880 and 1910. The Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907 (known as the Haldane Reforms after the Secretary of State for War, Richard Haldane) came into force in 1908 and the various Volunteer Units were consolidated to form the Territorial Force. The construction of drill halls largely ceased during the First World War and in 1920 the Territorial Force became the Territorial Army.

In the 20th century changes in warfare and weaponry made many of the earlier drill halls redundant and subject to demolition or change to a new use. Around 344 drill halls are believed to have been built in Scotland of which 182 are thought to survive today, although few remain in their original use. Drill halls are an important part of our social and military history. They tell us much about the development of warfare and the history of defending our country. They also, unusually for a nationwide building programme, were not standardised and were often designed by local architects in a variety of styles and they also have a part to play in the history of our communities.

The requirements for drill halls were basic – a large covered open space to train and drill as well as a place for the secure storage of weapons. The vast majority of drill halls were modest utilitarian structures. Most drill halls conformed to the pattern of an administrative block containing offices and the armoury to store weapons along with a caretaker or drill instructors accommodation, usually facing the street. To the rear would be the drill hall itself. Occasionally more extensive accommodation was required, such as for battalion headquarters where interior rifle ranges, libraries, billiards rooms, lecture theatres and bars could all be included.

Listed in 2016 as part of the Drill Hall Listing Review 2015-16.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 82292

Maps

Wood, J (1822) Plan of the Town of Arbroath from actual survey. Edinburgh: T. Brown.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1859, published 1865) Forfar Sheet XLVI.15 (Arbroath). 25 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1901, published 1903) Forfarshire 046.15 (includes: Arbroath and St Vigeans). 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1921, published 1923) Forfarshire 046.15 (includes: Arbroath and St Vigeans). 25 inches to the mile. 3rd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Dundee Courier (6 December 1881) p.5.

Dundee Courier (18 March 1882) p.3.

Dundee Courier (30 April 1883) p.4.

Dundee Courier (16 August 1883) p.4.

Historic Environment Scotland (2016) Scotland's Drill Halls Preliminary Report. Unpublished.

Montrose Arbroath and Brechin Review (3 June 1859) p.7.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. William Scott at http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=406304 [accessed 27/01/2016].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Arbroath Community Centre, rear view from the west on a cloudy day
Arbroath Community Centre, front elevation diagonal view from the northeast on a cloudy day.

Printed: 27/03/2025 06:38