Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CARNOUSTIE LADIES' GOLF CLUBHOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS, 12 LINKS PARADE, CARNOUSTIELB52307

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
06/11/2014
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Barry
NGR
NO 55833 34195
Coordinates
355833, 734195

Description

David Fraser, 1895 and later additions. Single storey, 3-bay symmetrical golf clubhouse with decorative cast-iron columns and spandrels to veranda and central gable with pair of roundels with cast, female heads. Overlooking golf links to south. Bull-faced red sandstone with ashlar, long and short margins. Bipartite windows to end bays with stone mullion. Columns with fluted base and Corinthian capitals. Entrance door to east elevation and accessed by stone steps. The rear (north) elevation has a 1895 piended-roof outshot to the centre which has been extended to the north and west in the 20th century. Small, flat roof 20th century addition to west elevation.

Replacement glazing. Piended slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Tall square, end stacks with copes and clay cans.

Low rubble boundary walls and pair of gatepiers with chamfered copes.

Statement of Special Interest

Carnoustie Ladies' Golf Clubhouse is a rare and early example of a purpose-built ladies' golf clubhouse in Scotland. The building has good architectural details, particularly the veranda with highly decorative Corinthian columns and spandrels as well the cast heads set in roundels to the gable and the building retains its symmetrical design including its chimneys and uninterrupted roofline. Carnoustie has a long association with the game of golf and the clubhouse overlooks Carnoustie Links and this is of contextual interest to the building.

Purpose-built ladies golf clubhouses of the 19th century that are still in use are extremely rare, with only a handful of known examples, such as Machrihanish Ladies' Golf Clubhouse (1893-96) and The Ladies' Golf Club at Royal Troon Clubhouse (1897).

Inaugurated in 1873, Carnoustie Ladies Golf Club, is understood to be the oldest Ladies' Golf Club (with a separate golf course from the men) in Scotland. The ladies played over an 18 hole course which stretched westwards from the Lochty Burn. This watercourse flows through the centre of Carnoustie, reaching the shore some 700m east of the clubhouse, which suggests that the original course lay a short distance southeast or east of the clubhouse. The ladies' clubhouse was designed by the local architect David Fraser and officially opened on 24 August 1895.

Carnoustie has a long association with the game of golf. A club was formed here in 1839 and Allan Robertson came from St Andrews to lay out the first ten holes in 1848. Old Tom Morris, extended the course to 18 holes in 1867. In 1926 James Braid redesigned all the courses extensively and at this time the short ladies' course was abandoned in favour of the new Ladies' tees which had been built on the Carnoustie links. Many golf clubhouses, hotels and other golf related buildings are located on Links Parade, included Simpson Golf Shop (see separate listings).

Scotland is the birthplace of the modern game of golf played over 18 holes. The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf', a set of rules whose principles still underpin the game's current regulations, were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers (now The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). Accompanying the development of the sport during the second half of the 19th century, architects sought to give form to a new building type, the clubhouse or 'nineteenth hole'. Improved transport links and increased affluence and leisure time saw growth in the popularity of the sport, with a notable peak in the early 1900s.

David Fraser (or Frazer) appears to have practised in Dundee initially in the 1880s before becoming architect of the Panmure Estates in 1888. In the 1890s he practised independently from Carnoustie, although he may have retained some connection with the Panmure Estates. He predominantly designed domestic buildings but his work also includes Bruce Court in Carnoustie, a hotel which has been converted into housing.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 194349

The Dundee Courier (26 August 1895) Carnoustie Ladies Golf Club, Opening of a New Clubhouse. p.3.

Hutchinson, H. (1897, republished 2005) British Golf Links. London: Sports Media Group. p.97.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1901, published 1902) Forfarshire, Sheet 051.16. 25 inch map. 2nd Edition. London: Ordnance Survey).

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Ladies Golf Clubhouse, Carnoustie http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=206516 [accessed 30/06/2014].

Carnoustie Ladies Golf Club http://www.carnoustieladiesgolfclub.co.uk/about-us/ [accessed 30/06/2014].

Further information courtesy of Carnoustie Ladies Golf Club (2014).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARNOUSTIE LADIES' GOLF CLUBHOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS, 12 LINKS PARADE, CARNOUSTIE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/07/2024 05:38