Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ULVA HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDING, ISLAND OF ULVALB52282

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/09/2014
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Kilninian And Kilmore
NGR
NM 44211 39092
Coordinates
144211, 739092

Description

Leslie Graham MacDougall (Thompson), 1955-56. 2-storey and attic, 9-bay, symmetrical T-plan, harled neo-Georgian mansion house. Fine post-war rebuild of an early 19th century house on same site of similar profile and dimensions. Square and snecked rubble whinstone base course. Eaves course. Piended roof.

Principal (northwest) elevation: advanced 3-bay block with piended roof to centre with sweeping steps to round-arched entrance. Decorative sunburst fanlight and flanking margin lights and carved crest above. Central block flanked by single-storey, flat roofed wings with ashlar skews and urn-finials. First-floor windows set close to eaves. Pair of small attic dormers.

5-bay arrangement to rear elevation. Shouldered wall-head gable to centre with wall-sundial and 3 urn-finials. Bowed outshot with curved glazing to southeast elevation with decorative cast-iron parapet. Turn-pike stair outshot rising to attic level to northwest elevation.

Multi-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows (timber secondary glazing). Grey slate. Pair of coped ridge stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

The interior was seen in 2014 and is a distinctive Regency/Adam influenced interior scheme, unusual for its mid-20th century building date. Central hall with hardwood handrail to sweeping open well stair. Library, dining room and sitting room to ground floor with Adam-style fireplaces and timber panelling. Dining room with bowed entrance wall and bowed door. Panelled niches flanking bowed window in sitting room to east. Round-archways to halls on ground and first floor. Round-arched door to attic.

Outbuilding: to northwest of house, rectangular-plan, piended roof with large double-door to ground and lean-to section to left. Stone fore-stair to upper level in re-entrant angle.

Statement of Special Interest

Ulva House is a rare and significant example of a large mansion house of the early post-war building period in Scotland which is largely unaltered. It is by an important 20th century Scottish architect with an unusual and distinctive regency style interior scheme. The house incorporates fabric from the earlier 19th century Ulva house, on the same site, adding to its contextual and associated historic value. The exterior aesthetic is interesting in the context of inter-war country house design and the transition between Arts and Crafts and Modernism, blending this within the exterior profile and massing of an earlier 19th century house on the same site. The sundial and ornamental urn-finials from the earlier 19th century property have been incorporated into the new Ulva House.

The interior scheme at Ulva House displays a respect for traditional craftsmanship, with a distinctive Regency/Adam influence from the earlier house on the site and this is very unusual for the 1945 date of construction. Large architect-designed mansion houses with good intact interior schemes of the early post-war building period are rare in Scotland as they were increasingly unfashionable or too expensive to justify during that period.

Leslie Graham Thomson (MacDougall after 1953) was one of Scotland's leading architects during the inter-war period. Thomson's house for himself, Srongarbh (1936-8) at West Linton, is listed at category A. He commenced his architectural training at Edinburgh College of Art under Sir George Washington Browne and John Begg and was articled to Sir Robert Lorimer whose influence underpins much of Thomson/MacDougall's design work. Non-domestic commissions include the Guardian Royal Exchange in Edinburgh and the Isobel Fraser Home of Rest in Inverness (see separate listings).

Ulva House is situated to the south side of the Island of Ulva, off the west coast of Mull, and is the architectural focal point of a small island community which has been identified as outstanding as a tax exempt heritage asset. Until 1777, Ulva was the seat of Clan Macquarrie. The 17th or 18th century mansion house of the MacQuarrie's was replaced by a new house in the early 19th century and this building is depicted in William Daniell's aquatint of 1820. (A Voyage Round Great Britain (1813-1823) plate 39). Ulva House was rebuilt a third time in 1955 using the same footprint and similar dimensions, following a fire on the site of the 19th century house. Bracadale Steading to the south of Ulva House occupies the site of the 17th or 18th century mansion house.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 164373

Daniell W. (1823) A Voyage Round Great Britain (1813-1823).

Walker F. A. (1992) The Buildings of Scotland - Argyll and Bute. London: Penguin Books. p.589.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Ulva House, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=214723 (accessed 3/06/2014)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ULVA HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDING, ISLAND OF ULVA

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 04:37