Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 55956 34230
355956, 734230


Early 20th century. Single storey, rectangular-plan golf shop overlooking golf links to the S; with cylindrical ogee-roofed pavilion to SW corner. Red brick; stone cill course; rendered pavilion. Segmental arched windows.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: veranda to right, with timber balustrading and turned timber columns supporting flat roof; timber boarding to soffit. Panelled timber entrance door to right with 6-pane rectangular fanlight.

E ELEVATION: 4 windows, that to left and that off-centre to right now blind.

W ELEVATION: 3 windows, that to centre now blind.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: full width lean-to with door to right return and window to left return.

6-pane over 2-pane glazing in timber windows to S (entrance) elevation, those to pavilion with curved glazing; 16-pane glazing in timber windows to side elevations. Piended roof; grey slates; 2-pane roof lights. Clay ridge tiles and finials.

INTERIOR: (seen 2012). Remodelled 2009 with addition of period fixures including cast-iron spiral staircase and range. Glazed and timber inner door. Original workbench.

Statement of Special Interest

Rare survival of an early 20th century golf clubmakers, now shop, with distinctive ogee-roofed pavilion and balustraded veranda, associated with an important golfing family. Established in 1883, the Simpsons business is a integral part of Carnoustie's golfing history.

Carnoustie has a long association with the game of golf. A club was formed here in 1839 and Allan Robertson came from St Andrews to lay out the first ten holes in 1848. Old Tom Morris, extended the course to 18 holes in 1867 and in 1926 James Braid redesigned the Championship course extensively. Simpsons Golf Shop was established in 1883 and a photograph from 1898, indicates it was originally in a building to the SE of Dalhousie Golf Club (now demolished). In 1920 Robert Simpson acquired the present building, changing its name from Charles Brand Clubmakers to Simpsons Golf Shop.

Robert Simpson, the founder of the shop, was clubmaker and professional to the Dalhousie Club in August 1883. He was renowned for his bulger clubs designed so that a ball not quite hit on the sweetspot could still fly straight. Robert and his brothers, Archie and Jack, were synonymous with championship golf in the late 19th century, with Jack winning the Open back in 1884 and Archie coming second on two further occasions. The family is world renowned for also being the developers of the 'Carnoustie swing', a template of the modern golf swing, which they exported to many parts of the world as they headed off to America, South Africa and Australia to teach golf as professionals.

Scotland is intrinsically linked with the sport of golf and it was the birthplace of the modern game played over 18 holes. The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf', a set of rules whose principles still underpin the game's current regulations, were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers (now The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). Improved transport links and increased leisure time as well as a rise in the middle classes from the mid 19th century onwards increased the popularity of the sport with another peak taking place in the early 1900s.

At the time of writing (2013), the governing body for amateur golf in Scotland, the Scottish Golf Union (SGU), reported around 550 golf courses in Scotland, representing a total membership of approximately 236,000 golf club members. Interestingly, 7 of the 14 venues where the Open Championship is held are in Scotland. Scotland has produced a number of famous golf sporting personalities - historically, Old Tom Morris (1821-1908) and James Braid (1870- 1950) were the pioneers of their time.

Listed as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).



not evident on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1900, published 1903). Evident on 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1920, published 1923). (accessed 12 April). Further information courtesy of owner (2013).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SIMPSONS GOLF SHOP, 6 LINKS PARADE, CARNOUSTIE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 03:20