Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LOCHGILPHEAD, BLARBUIE ROAD, ARGYLL AND BUTE HEALTH BOARD HEADQUARTERS, AROS BUILDING, (FORMER POORHOUSE) INCLUDING AROS COTTAGE AND BOUNDARY WALLLB52027

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/04/2013
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Glassary
NGR
NR 86899 88435
Coordinates
186899, 688435

Description

David Crow, 1861. 2-storey, 13-bay, symmetrical, gabled former poorhouse, with long 2-storey wings to N forming U-plan and incorporating separate cottage in courtyard (currently offices, 2012). Random rubble with contrasting smooth ashlar margins and quoins. Band course. Some simple timber bargeboarding; bracketted timber eaves. Single and bipartite window openings. Concrete harl to wings.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION): advanced central 3 bays with further advanced gabled central entrance bay. 2-leaf timber entrance door with fanlight above; flanking bays with tripartite window openings. Flanking recessed outer 5-bay sections with advanced gabled central bays.

INTERNAL COURTYARD: S ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central, lower gabled extension with advanced wings.

Predominantly single- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced ridge and gable stacks.

INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Comprehensively altered to provide office accommodation.

AROS COTTAGE: to N. Situated within courtyard. Single-storey, 6-bay cottage. Rubble with smooth margins. Bracketted timber eaves. Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates; gable stacks.

Coped boundary wall to S with central path.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good and little externally altered example of a former poorhouse, built for a rural community by David Crow, a local architect and builder. The building retains its symmetrical, gabled front elevation and the original U-shape plan form is little altered, clearly demonstrating its former function. There is a separate single storey building to the rear of the property within the courtyard, which is likely to have been an infirmary block. The property was damaged by fire in the 1920s, and has been adapted in the interior, but is notable for the retention of much of its exterior appearance and plan, including the exterior walls around the former infirmary building.

A small number of poorhouses were built in Scotland between the years of 1848 and 1870, after the introduction of the 1845 Scottish Poor Law Act. Although there had been some poorhouses built before this, there was no national overseeing body and the care was inconsistent across the country. The Act instituted a central Board of Supervision to oversee the provision throughout Scotland. As a result, model plans were published for the construction of both rural and town poorhouses. Lochgilphead poorhouse is close in style to the model plans drawn up by Mackenzie and Mathews, being of two storeys and gables to break up the institutional appearance of the main front. Although each area slightly adapted these for its own requirements, the symmetry, gabled elevations and U-plan outline were widespread. With the change in legislation in the 20th century, many former poorhouses have been demolished or altered.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1873). F A Walker, The Buildings of Scotland, Argyll and Bute, (2000), p382. Information from www.workhouses.org.uk/Lochgilphead (accessed 20-08-2012). Historic Scotland, Building up our Health, (2010).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCHGILPHEAD, BLARBUIE ROAD, ARGYLL AND BUTE HEALTH BOARD HEADQUARTERS, AROS BUILDING, (FORMER POORHOUSE) INCLUDING AROS COTTAGE AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 06:40