Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GREAT WESTERN ROAD, COUNTESSWELLS ROAD, CRAIGTON ROAD, MANNOFIELD PARISH CHURCHLB51979

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
20/11/2012
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 91769 4559
Coordinates
391769, 804559

Description

Jenkins and Marr, 1882; hall to rear added by Baxter, Clark and Paul, 1910; hall to SW, circa 1982. Cruciform-plan Gothic church with tall square tower and spire at SE angle and important surviving interior; prominent setting at intersection of three roads. Tooled, squared and coursed granite with ashlar dressings. Chamfered base course; string course to E (entrance) elevation; eaves course; Latin cross apex finial to nave gables. Predominantly pointed-arch, geometrical traceried leaded windows, with chamfered rybats and raked cills; those to entrance elevation with hoodmoulding and label-stops. Glazed arrowslit to gable apex. Buttressed aisle and chancel with angled buttresses to tower. Stylistically similar attached tall single storey, rectangular-plan hall to NW; later addition to re-entrant angle. Former vestry sections adjoined to W elevation now obscured by later 20th century single storey, rectangular-plan piended addition to SW.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central gable with tower to left and single bay to right. Gabled doorpiece with Latin cross apex finial; 2-leaf panelled timber doors set within pointed-arch surround. Tripartite (central lancet taller) and mullioned window above entrance. Bay to left with lancet window at ground floor and blind trefoil carving above.

TOWER: 5-stage tower: pair of glazed arrowslit windows at ground floor; 2nd stage with traceried lancet window; shallow 3rd stage with glazed quatrefoil opening; 4th stage bellcote with pair of lancet louvred openings; 5th stage octagonal spire with clock set within gablet at base and flanked by pinnacles; trefoil detail and spouts to spire and topped by weathervane.

S (CRAIGTON ROAD) ELEVATION: 5 bays comprising of transept gable to left, 3-bay nave and tower to right. Shouldered flat-arched opening to base of tower. Late 20th century advanced addition to far left .

N (COUNTESSWELLS ROAD) ELEVATION: mirror of E elevation, with exception of tower. Hall adjoined to far right, with canted gable; pair of lancet windows to angles. Later flat roofed addition to re-entrant angle between church and hall.

Predominantly stained glass windows to church and 1910 hall (see NOTES); some uPVC windows to later additions. Steeply pitched roof, grey slates; gableted roof vents. Straight skew with corbelled skewputts. Later rainwater goods.

INTERIOR (seen 2012): characterised by Gothic timber detailing. Entrance vestibule with dog-leg stone stair to right; ceiling divided by shallow arches on corbels. Pointed-arched boarded timber doors with carved timber canopy. Timber hammerbeam roof truss to nave and transept, with cusped detail to infill, stone corbels to base. Raked timber gallery to E wall with decorative carving to balustrade; organ added 1960s. Original timber pews with quatrefoil detail, those to front with fleur-de-lys finials. Vertical timber boarding to dado. Elaborate timber partitions to doors to former vestry. Mid 20th century alterations to chancel including communion table. Hall with vaulted boarded timber ceiling and timber stage. Some late 20th century remodelling.

BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary will with chamfered ashlar copes. Square-plan piers with ashlar caps.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship in use as such. Mannofield Parish Church is a prominent and well-detailed example of Scottish church architecture at the peak of church construction in the second half of the 19th century. The building retains much of its original carved timber work to the interior. It is a significant building in the area, prominently located at the intersection of three roads, with a landmark tower which is one of the tallest in the city. This distinctive slender tower and spire may have been inspired by the steeple of The Kirk Of St Nicholas Uniting by William Smith in 1875-7 (see separate listing).

Mannofield, a suburb of Aberdeen, was developed from the later 19th century following the construction of the Deeside Railway and the rerouting of the old turnpike road to Braemar to meet the Great Western Road. The church was originally accommodated in a temporary wooden building on a site in front of the present church. Construction of Mannofield Parish Church commenced on 10 March 1881 and it was officially opened on 30th July 1882.

Mannofield Parish Church has a variety of stained glass windows. The oldest is the large window to the west elevation which was donated in 1892 and depicts eight biblical people. The stained glass windows to the transept were installed in the late 20th century. That to the north depicts 'The Calming of The Storm' and was awarded a Saltire Socity Commendation.

George Gordon Jenkins commenced practice as architect and surveyor in Aberdeen around 1874, his earliest work being concerned with the layout of cemeteries. In 1878 he took into partnership George Marr, who was experienced in the designs of schools and farm buildings. Throughout their early careers, the work of Jenkins & Marr was of a simple and strictly practical nature, but with Mannofield Church, for which an experienced assistant was probably brought into the practice, it moved to a rather higher plane. The practice undertook a wide range of commissions including private houses, commercial buildings as well as churches.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen Daily Free Press, 2 February 1881. Evident on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1899, published 1902). A Gammie, The Churches of Aberdeen Historical and Descriptive (1909), p36. A L McCombie A Century At Mannofield (1982). W A Brogden, Aberdeen An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1998), p166-67. www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 23 March 2012). Information courtesy of owner (2012). http://www.saltiresociety.org.uk/3868 (accessed 26 June 2012). http://mannofieldchurch.org.uk/ (accessed 26 June 2012).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GREAT WESTERN ROAD, COUNTESSWELLS ROAD, CRAIGTON ROAD, MANNOFIELD PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 22:47