Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BLAIRGOWRIE, GOLF COURSE ROAD, LINCROFTLB51972

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/11/2012
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Blairgowrie
NGR
NO 18343 43115
Coordinates
318343, 743115

Description

Thoms and Wilkie, 1937-1938; circa 2007 single storey extension to W; piended garage to E. 2-storey and attic, asymmetrical Arts and Crafts villa situated in own grounds with steeply sloping roof. White painted harl with Art Deco detailing. Brick base course, broad eaves. Raised brick cills. Flat-roofed dormers. Central gabled bay with projecting timber detailing at apex to entrance elevation; prominent bowed balcony and wide flanking bays to garden front. Later, 2007, piended-roof lift shaft arising through roof.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central bay with small window to ground and round-arched window to 1st floor set in recessed round-arch niche. Steps lead to slated, conical-roofed entrance porch to right with timber entrance door and part-glazed 2-leaf internal doors; brick margins; flanking small windows. Later single storey extension to far right. Later, 2007 conical roofed porch to left with door to left face. Advanced single storey piended roof garage to far left.

S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 5 bays. Symmetrical with projecting rounded balcony at 1st storey. Central shallow steps lead to recessed patio area with central part-glazed French doors. Wide, advanced rounded outer bays with slated conical roofs; 8-light windows at 1st and 2nd storey; those at ground with moulded architraves.

Predominantly metal multi-pane casement windows. Steeply sloping roof; grey slates throughout. Tall wallhead stacks to E and W elevations; ridge stack.

INTERIOR: fine decorative interior incorporating high quality timber panelling with Art Deco detailing. Original room layout largely intact. Some decorative stone fire surrounds. Dog-leg timber stair with panelled timber banister. Heaters with metal-grill and timber covers.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a fine example of a well-detailed Arts and Crafts villa with distinctive Art Deco elements such as sweeping bowed balcony and bays, by a prestigious Dundee architect's firm, sited on the outskirts of Blairgowrie at Rosemount. The villa has a number of distinctive features including the prominent central gable, round-ended bays to the garden elevation, the tall chimney stacks and the large balcony overlooking the garden. There is some high-quality wood work to the interior, emphasising the use of natural materials. Professor David Walker suggests that the panelling may be the work of the cabinet maker, Thomas Justice of Whitehall Street, Dundee. The 2007 additions to the property have used the same Arts and Crafts style and matching materials.

Drawings in the RCAHMS, dated 1937 and signed by the architect firm of Thoms and Wilkie depict the house as it appears now, with the exception of the 2007 extensions. The drawings note that the house was built for a W Campbell Scarlett. W Campbell Scarlet is mentioned as a solicitor in a Roll of the Members of the Guildry of Dundee.

Thoms and Wilkie was a prestigious Dundee architectural practice, whose work centred around Dundee and Angus. Set up by Patrick Hill Thoms and William Fleming Willkie in 1901, by 1937, Patrick's nephew Thomas was a partner in the firm and Wilkie had retired. The firm continued until 1975. The firm's work was wide ranging and included a number of private villas.

Rosemount, an area to the south of Blairgowrie, developed at the beginning of the 20th century and it contains a number of substantial villas.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey Map. Drawings from the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland, Ref; DPM/1930/293/1. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 12-07-12). Further information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLAIRGOWRIE, GOLF COURSE ROAD, LINCROFT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/07/2024 06:41