Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MONTRAVE HOUSE (FORMERLY MONTRAVE STEADING)LB51932

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/06/2012
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Scoonie
NGR
NO 37710 6572
Coordinates
337710, 706572

Description

Dated 1875 (to central gable). Large Baronial former steading comprising two 3-bay, 2-storey houses joined by broadly symmetrical U-plan stable and offices. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Crowstepped gables and dormers. Timber doors. Largely unaltered stabling to N corner ranges having fine quality timber and cast-iron stalls and numerous original fixtures and fittings. Wing to SW remodelled (early 21st century) to form large single dwelling (see Notes).

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: pair of well-detailed 2-storey, 3-bay (house) blocks at outer wings: slightly advanced crowstepped gables to centre flanked by pair of smaller crowstep pediments; curved angles to ground floor, corbelled out at first floor.

House to right (former groom's house) with timber door to ground floor with decorative hood-mould. Block to left wing has curved-glass bay window addition with metal canopy. Courtyard range to rear: three segmental-arch openings with timber doors to left; middle section partially remodelled in 1980s to form office with 4-bay window insertion to ground floor.

NE (OUTER) ELEVATION: advanced gabled out-shot with large sliding timber doors and smaller doors flanking; two timber doors at re-entrant angle to left leading to former grooms house and loft level. Detached stable sits opposite: rubble with pitched slate roof and 2-part stable door; lean-to addition to right. NW (OUTER) ELEVATION: long single-storey lean-to block to centre; further pedimented loft door to right. Gabled outer bays. SW (OUTER) ELEVATION: largely remodelled with verandah/porch addition and new window openings at roof-line.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows - mostly 4 over 4-pane arrangement. Grey slate. Coped end and ridge stacks with octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: original timber panelled stables to N corner ranges: timber stalls with cast-iron metalwork including ornate door hinges, ball finials and recessed brass door handles. Integral water troughs and feeders in each stall. Pair of boxed timber hay chutes from loft to ground floor. Stables separated by sliding door on rail. Vertical mouse-hole ladder leading to loft above. Flagstone floors. Stable to NE range has glazed tiles to rear wall. Wet room with segmental-arched double-leaf timber door. Timber-panelled tack room with metal hangers.

Grooms house entrance to E elevation has stair to first floor serving flat to left and entrance to hay loft to right. Loft has hand-operated winch fixture for lifting hay through loft door to centre of loft level at NE.

Statement of Special Interest

A large and well-detailed former courtyard steading and offices. The Baronial details such as the hoodmoulds and crowstepped gables are typical of the date and reveal an interest in having the most up-to-date architectural style of the period. The fine interior fittings which survive show the value placed on animal husbandry at the Montrave estate at the time of building. The typical U-plan steading has been augmented by a pair of prominent 2-storey and attic, 3-bay houses. This is an unusual design and one which further articulates the importance of the steading and its status, playing a major part in the running of the estate.

There are two largely intact, high quality stables at the N corner angle of the steading with timber and cast-iron stalls, timber panelling, hay chutes, troughs, feeders, saddle hangers, sliding doors and flagstone floors. The timber-panelled tack room with multiple saddle hangers, and wet room for washing down the horses add further interior interest. The west wing has been converted for residential use (early 21st century). The building largely retains its original character, profile and massing.

The first Montrave house was built in 1836 by Major Alexander Anderson, after which the estate was acquired by Mr Allan Gilmour whose family had extensive interests in Canadian timber and shipping. One branch of the family settled in Fife, acquiring the estates of Lundin in 1872 and Montrave in 1873. The large U-plan, courtyard steading range at Montrave was built in 1875, shortly after the acquisition.

The house itself was greatly extended and remodelled by Sir John Gilmour between 1886 and 1920 by renowned architects James Gillespie and Scott. John Gilmour founded the Montrave stud in 1892 and was known as one of the most successful breeders of Clydesdales in Scotland. The mansion house itself was completely demolished in 1970 following a major fire. The former steading range is now known as Montrave House. A curved-glass bay window addition with metal canopy to the W wing of the former steading was salvaged from the earlier property.

The W wing has been remodelled to form a single family dwelling. The building is intervisible with the recently restored 18th century Montrave Doocot (see separate listing) to the NE.

References

Bibliography

First Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1854-55); Second Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1893-4). S Cunningham, Rambles In The Parishes Of Scoonie And Wemyss (1905) pp116-120. Dictionary of Scottish Architect - www.scottisharchitects.org.uk.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MONTRAVE HOUSE (FORMERLY MONTRAVE STEADING)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/07/2024 03:46