Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Removed


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
Date Removed:
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Urquhart And Logie Wester
NH 54157 55717
254157, 855717

Removal Reason

This building no longer meets the criteria for listing.


Late 18th or early 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay traditional house (now public house) with steeply pitched roof and narrow dressed quoins. Rendered rubble painted white. Fenders to corner angles. Timber door to centre. Later 20th century addition to rear.

4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows to principal elevation. Grey slate (originally thatched). Broad, coped end stacks with thackstanes. Clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Low boundary wall to roadside.

INTERIOR: largely remodelled for use as a public house including removal of part of 1st floor and section of rear wall. Exposed rubble walls. Some original timber ceiling beams and window lintels. Timber fireplaces to 1st floor and attic at N gable. Attic space divided into rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with - Conon Bridge, Conon Hotel; Mayburgh Old Conon Bridge Toll House; Conon Bridge, Railway Bridge (see separate listings).

This building maintains the profile of a traditional late 18th century house demonstrating distinguishing features typical of its pre-industrial date including a steeply pitched roof with thackstanes, openings set towards the centre of the principal elevation, and 19th century timber sash and case windows set close to the eaves.

An important view into the village is taken from the approach from the Conon Bridge and this prominently sited building, in conjunction with the Conon Bridge Hotel opposite (see separate listing), creates a gateway into the village from the North and establishes a significant sense of place in this context. Its form, scale and massing mark it out as one of the earliest buildings in the village.

The building predates the single-street village which was laid out in 1829. Its location and division of the attic space into rooms indicate that the building probably operated as a coaching inn during the early 19th century. The rubble fenders at the corners of the building show that the road level was originally lower. The road was raised, possibly during the construction of the original 5-span Conon Bridge, built by Thomas Telford between 1806-9. Telford also designed the toll house with 2-storey octagonal tower on the opposite side of the bridge in 1829 (see separate listing).



Shown on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1868). Roland Paxton and Jim Shipway, Civil Engineering Heritage ' Scotland Highlands and Islands (2007) p203. John Gifford, Buildings of Scotland - Highlands and Islands (1992) p394.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


The Drouthy Duck, west elevation, looking east, during daytime, on overcast day with grey sky.
The Drouthy Duck front (northeast) elevation, looking west, during daytime, on overcast day with grey sky.

Printed: 18/05/2022 18:04