Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BARRHILL, FORMER ARNSHEEN CHURCHLB51617

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/10/2010
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Parish
Colmonell
NGR
NX 23040 82516
Coordinates
223040, 582516

Description

Robert Samson Ingram, 1887. Cruciform, crow-stepped, Scottish Baronial former church with 4-stage clock tower to SE corner, situated on small rise at NW entrance to village of Barrhill. Coursed whinstone with contrasting sandstone ashlar margins. Base course. Mostly bi-partite, round-arched window openings. Gabled single-storey vestry to rear (NE).

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation to SW. Asymmetrical. Central gabled entrance porch with moulded round-arched doorpiece and 2-leaf slatted timber entrance door. Tower to right with asymmetrical castellated parapet; band course, chevroned moulding to cornice; louvred opening to 3rd stage. Incised crosses to canted 4th stage corners.

Recessed gabled entrance hall to rear lying perpendicular to entrance porch and taller, gabled section behind with decorative rose window.

INTERIOR: (seen 2010). Most interior furnishings removed. Open-timber ceiling. Decorative timber pulpit and organ case. Some panelled timber round-arched doors. Turnpike stair to tower.

Predominantly small, leaded coloured glass panes to windows. Purple graded slates with red ridge tiles. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

Statement of Special Interest

Arnsheen is a good example of a church in the Scottish Baronial style with distinctive crow-stepped gables and a striking tower with asymmetric parapet. The variety of gables and heights to the entrance elevation add together to form an interesting and unusual composition.

The church replaced a previous chapel of ease of 1845 which lay slightly to the North.

Robert Samson Ingram (circa 1841-1915) was an Ayrshire architect, based in Kilmarnock and most of his work is within the Ayrshire area. He had a prolific practice, covering all types of buildings, including a number of churches and other public buildings. He designed in a number of style including Scottish Baronial. His work included the Burns Memorial in Kilmarnock (now demolished) which had a similar tower to Arnsheen church.

The church was in use as a Church of Scotland church until 2002.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1896-7. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 05-07-10). Rob Close, Ayrshire and Arran, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1992, p194. Further information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BARRHILL, FORMER ARNSHEEN CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2024 21:59