Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

STONE BRIDGE OVER FORMER RAILWAY NEAR EAST LODGE, LENNOXTOWNLB51594

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/09/2010
Local Authority
East Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
East Dunbartonshire
Parish
Campsie
NGR
NS 61952 78426
Coordinates
261952, 678426

Description

Circa 1866. Single span segmental-arched bridge over former railway line (now pathway, 2010) with castellated parapet. Bull-faced stone with ashlar margins and parapet. Impost course. Saddle-backed coping. Square-plan capped corner piers to parapet.

Statement of Special Interest

This former railway bridge has a distinctive castellated parapet in contrast to the other plainer bridges along this route and is situated within the policies of category A-listed Lennox Castle (see separate listing). The parapet sets it apart from the other bridges in this stretch of the former railway line and is a result of its link to Lennox Castle.

As the railway line was to pass through land owned by the Lennox family, special consideration appears to have been given to the design of the bridge as it was located close to the castle itself. Information from Lennox family papers note an agreement between the Honourable Mrs Margaret Lennox of Woodhead and Kincaid and the Blane Valley Railway Company, 1864 which says that the bridge should be 24 feet wide with an ornamental parapet and placed at a slight skew to suit the line of a new approach to the Castle.

This section of the Blane Valley railway was opened in 1866. It closed in 1966. Much of the former railway is now a footpath.

Lennox Castle was constructed in 1837-1841 by the well-known Glasgow architect David Hamilton for the Lennox Family. It was used as a hospital during the First World War, 1914-18. The Castle was sold to Glasgow Parish Council in 1927, together with its ancillary buildings and in 1936, a new hospital for mentally handicapped patients was built in the grounds. This closed in 2002. The original Castle suffered fire damage in 2008.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1899. Information about railway from www.railbrit.co.uk (accessed 01-02-10). Lennox family papers at Glasgow City Archive, Ref: T-LX2/26/8/4.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STONE BRIDGE OVER FORMER RAILWAY NEAR EAST LODGE, LENNOXTOWN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 08:29