Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

WEST STIRLING STREET, FORMER DALMORE SCHOOL INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDING, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGSLB51577

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
24/07/2010
Local Authority
Clackmannanshire
Planning Authority
Clackmannanshire
Burgh
Alva
NGR
NS 87888 97080
Coordinates
287888, 697080

Description

John Melvin and Son, 1885-6. Well-detailed tall single storey, 7-bay, Gothic, H-plan former Infant School, with centre bellcote (see Notes), much good interior detail and unaltered plan form, located close to open parkland on Alva's principal road. Squared and snecked rock-faced pink sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, base course and eaves cornice. Pointed-arch traceried windows, hoodmoulds with label stops, blind cinquefoils, stone transoms and mullions and raked cills.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical principal elevation to S with traceried window to centre gabled bay with bellcote, large flanking bays with part-glazed double doors and timber doors beyond, that to right as shouldered arch doorway with 2-leaf boarded timber door and plate glass fanlight in angled gabled porch, and that to left as single panelled timber door with fanlight under consoled canopy. Outer gabled bays each with large traceried window and base of truncated stack to each gablehead.

Leaded diamond-pattern and small pane original glazing patterns in top hopper and casement windows throughout; some coloured glazing to top lights of traceried windows; all boarded. Small gray slates, decorative terracotta ridge tiles and slate-hung pagoda-type bases of ridge ventilators. Ashlar and harl stacks, some truncated. Stepped, coped ashlar skews with moulded skewputts and cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers, 2 undamaged griffins remain, and fixings.

INTERIOR: good decorative detail retained including architraved, panelled timber doors, boarded timber dadoes incorporating wall cupboards, dado rails with ironwork coat hooks and decorative cast iron radiators. Original plan form retained, comprising 2 large outer classrooms running N-S, each with sliding panelled timber dividing doors at centre; larger room at centre running E-W, with timber floor and hammerbeam-type roof; all 3 rooms with good boarded timber ceilings and circular decorative cast iron ventilators. Narrow linking corridor at rear with pointed-arch ceiling and decoratively detailed cast iron radiators.

ANCILLARY BUILDING: rectangular-plan playground shelter with steeply pitched slated piend roof on cast iron columns, now infilled in brick.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: semicircular- and saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls, some with inset ironwork railings. 2 pairs of pyramidally-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers to S, W pair retaining ironwork gate.

Statement of Special Interest

The former Dalmore School is a well-detailed building, described as the 'Best Board School Gothic' by Gifford and Walker. It has survived in remarkably little-altered condition and is sited within its walled playground adjacent to Alva's Johnstone Park and the remnant of the former Dalmore Works, itself a vestige of Alva's textile industry.

The 1872 Education Act made education compulsory and acted as a catalyst for an intensive period of school building across the country. The former Dalmore School is a good example of a post-1872 Education Act School and forms an important part of the streetscape in Alva. The high quality is evident in many features such as the transomed and mullioned Gothic-arched windows, ridge tiles and decorative rainwater goods. The interior detail continues the Gothic style with its pointed arch ceiling in the corridor. The timber-boarded ceilings with decorative ironwork ventilators are further evidence of careful attention to the detail of the design. Sliding panels within the classrooms allowed for flexibility of space by sub-dividing the room when required.

The school was replaced in 1976, and the old school bell was placed in the entrance foyer of the new building. The Dalmore School was soon adopted for local use and became known as the Dalmore Centre. It finally closed its doors on 30 September 2009, and is currently (2010) unused.

Architect John Melvin worked at his father's practice in Alloa from circa 1874. His local commissions included Alloa Burgh School in 1875, 63 Queen Street, Alva in 1878 and Tillicoultry School in 1904.

References

Bibliography

Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.scottisharchitects.org.uk accessed 14.01.10. John Gifford & Frank Arneil Walker Buildings of Scotland - Stirling and Central Scotland (2002), p180. Adam Swan Clackmannan and The Ochils An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1987), p73. www.scran.ac.uk accessed 14.01.10.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WEST STIRLING STREET, FORMER DALMORE SCHOOL INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDING, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 12:31