Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

96 INVERLEITH PLACELB51319

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/04/2009
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 23850 75336
Coordinates
323850, 675336

Description

Late 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetrical L-plan villa with slightly advanced pedimented bay to right. Snecked sandstone with ashlar margins, rubble to rear. Base course, cill courses. Chamfered corner to ground at left with moulded triangular cyma recta detail above. Bipartite and tripartite windows with some stone mullions and transoms. Ball finials.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: STREET ELEVATION TO S: off-centre 2-leaf, 6-panel timber entrance door with rectangular fanlight above; roll-moulded, corniced, door surround. Balustraded balcony above and key-stoned oculus to upper floor. Pair of windows to upper storey left with semi-circular dormerheads. Canted 3-light bay window to ground at right with slated roof and pedimented 3-light window above.

Predominantly 9-and 12-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows; some timber casement windows. Concave ornamental skew details with ball finials. Green slates with red ridge tiles. Coped wallhead stacks with red cans. Raised skews and some scroll skewputts.

INTERIOR: (seen 2009). Original room plan largely extant. Impressive central open-well decorative timber staircase with segmental-arched screen. Finely carved timber fire surrounds to some public rooms. Decorative plaster cornicing. 4-panel timber doors.

Statement of Special Interest

This distinctive villa with its semi-circular dormerheads and ball finials is a significant addition to the streetscape. The exterior of the house is well-detailed with a variety of ornament and it is a fine example of a late 19th century villa. The balcony above the entrance door and the chamfered corner to the West are particularly notable features. The interior of the house contains an impressive timber open-well stair which dominates the entrance hall. The original room plan is largely extant and there are some finely carved timber fire surrounds.

The house was used as a dormitory by the nearby Fettes School until the late 20th century when it was returned to a family home.

Some alterations were carried out to accommodate more rooms in the attic in 1922.

Inverleith Place was developed from the early 19th century, beginning at the East end. This villa was built at the end of the 19th century as development continued towards the West.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey Map, 1892. Dean of Guild Plans, Alterations for Mr G M Mason, 1922, from Edinburgh City Archive. Other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 96 INVERLEITH PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 01:46