Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

16 FORTH STREET, RAILWAY TAVERNLB51130

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/07/2008
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Tulliallan
NGR
NS 92866 87409
Coordinates
292866, 687409

Description

Probably mid to later 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Rare survival of public house in vernacular 2-storey (probably raised from single storey), 4-bay (at ground) terraced dwelling located on shores of River Forth and probably on site of pre-1800 drovers inn, unusual for simplicity of both interior and exterior. Roughly coursed blue/grey rubble with roughly squared quoins and raised ashlar margins to deep set windows. Deep base course.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation to NW. 2 closely aligned doors to centre, that to left with 2-leaf panelled timber and small keystone bearing lettering 'J DOBIE / LICENSEE', that to right with modern timber door, windows in flanking bays below slightly larger windows at 1st floor. Steep stone stair to outer left leading to timber gate and 1st floor door at gabled NE elevation.

INTERIOR: rare survival of original plan with separate rooms incorporating narrow passage with boarded dado, hatch, shelf (for passageway drinking) and bell-box leading to 3 roomed interior comprising tiny public bar at left with deep timber-lined window reveals, Art Deco detail to cast iron fireplace, plain counter with Bakelite top, back gantry of simple domestic shelving, 2-leaf glazed door to display cupboard and seating of 4 double bus seats facing single Formica-topped table on cast iron base. 3 further rooms with numbered doors, 2 and 3 with bell pushes for table service, 1 now a store room.

Principal elevations with plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to 1st floor, modern glazing at ground. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans. Ashlar-coped skews.

Statement of Special Interest

The Railway Tavern is a rare survivor, especially interesting for its completeness, simplicity and scale. It is sited overlooking a small grassed area on the bank of the River Forth. Small bars serving alcohol from a room within domestic accommodation, or even simply through a window, were once commonplace throughout Scotland. Rudolph Kenna in People's Palaces describes the evolution of this type of bar, adding "For many years after the advent of the late Victorian palace pub, hostelries of the old quasi-domestic sort continued to survive in the back streets of the towns and cities, in the suburbs, and in the country". This bar, distinguishable from the outside only by the small keystone stating the name of the licensee, is thought to date back to 18th century when "the natural crossings of the Forth were at Alloa and Kincardine-on-Forth, and the Minute Book of the Justices of the Peace for Stirlingshire for the year 1827 shows the two ferries in active use by the drovers" (Haldane). Drovers crossing the Ochils often used several less obvious routes in order to avoid tolls and, bound for the Falkirk tryst, would have used the Kincardine ferry. It is not known when the bar changed its name to The Railway Tavern, but the North British Railway opened a terminal station at Kincardine on 18 December 1893.

The public bar seats originate from Alexander's bus builders of Falkirk. Listed as part of the Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

Michael Slaughter (Ed) CAMRA Scotland's True Heritage Pubs (2007), p57. A R B Haldane The Drove Roads of Scotland (1997), p114. Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer Scotland Vol IV (1895), p391. 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map Perthshire (1859-64). R Kenna and A Mooney People's Palaces: Victorian and Edwardian Pubs of Scotland, (1983).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 16 FORTH STREET, RAILWAY TAVERN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 07:11