Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

FORMER BREACHACHA ESTATE WALLED GARDEN INCLUDING FORMER GREENHOUSELB51093

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
21/05/2008
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Coll
NGR
NM 16652 54235
Coordinates
116652, 754235

Description

Later 18th century. Large square-plan walled garden. Large doorway to centre of slightly taller SW wall; small brick arched gateway to NE. Rubble walls with roughly hewn quoins and fine pinnings. Collapsed section to N of NW wall. Former brick based greenhouse with cast-iron brackets and later sheet roofing to NE. Circle of paved stones to centre.

Statement of Special Interest

The walled garden is a large and relatively early example of an estate garden with very few openings within the expanse of wall. It forms a strong historical grouping with the nearby Breachacha Castles with which it is associated. Several references date the garden to the mid 19th century but Johnson and Boswell make reference to the garden on their visit in 1773 which indicates that it was built around the same time as Breachacha New Castle.

The walled garden was built for the Breachacha Estate. It is a large example of a walled garden, approximately 800m square, with 3m high walls, located 700 metres to the NE of the castle and nestled behind a rocky outcrop which protects it from the weather from the W. It remained in use as a working walled garden with sections for vegetables, soft fruit and orchards, until The Great War, after which point it began to fall into disrepair.

The wall was previously capped in flat cope stones from Rhum but these were removed in the 1960s due to vandalism and decay and replaced with a smooth cement capping.

Garden House is attached to the SW section of the wall. The house, thought to be mid 19th century, has undergone alterations and is of little architectural merit in its own right.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (circa 1881). RCAHMS, Argyll, Volume 3, Mull, Tiree, Colland Northern Argyll, (1980) p229. F Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Argyll and Bute (2000) p503.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FORMER BREACHACHA ESTATE WALLED GARDEN INCLUDING FORMER GREENHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 05:22