Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 95050 6100
395050, 806100


Circa 1854. Large 4-storey, 12-bay, multi-gabled warehouse (now offices) building on prominent corner site with distinctive semicircular openings to upper floors. Coursed Aberdeen Bond granite with voussoired dressings.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: E ELEVATION: Segmental-arched opening with large 2-leaf timber door to right bay; semi-circular openings above with occulus window to gable apex. To left: 3-3-3 bay arrangement with central flat-roofed section flanked by gabled bays. Some louvred rectangular openings (mostly boarded) with raised cills; lowered aprons to central bays. Cast-iron oval ties between floors. N ELEVATION: Cast-iron oval ties between bays and floors. Continues at 2-storey, 5-bay section to right.

Multi-astragalled fixed-pane windows and rectangular louvred openings. Grey slate roof; ashlar skews and skewputs. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Corrugated iron pitched roof to 2-storey section.

INTERIOR: Spiral staircase. Cast-iron supporting columns.

Statement of Special Interest

This large and impressive warehouse occupies a prominent corner position to the rear of Waterloo Quay. The semi-circular openings are particularly distinctive and are unique in this area of Aberdeen. Warehouses were critical to Aberdeen's mercantile history and many were located near the harbour area. Only a handful of warehouses remain and this example is unusual for its semicircular window treatment. Warehouses are an increasingly important part of the character of the harbour area.

In 1854 the Northern Agricultural company aquired ground on this site to accommodate their business of 'Cake and Manure Manufactory' as shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1868. By the 1930's a company manufacturing edible fats occupied the Lime Street corner building. In 1972, the oil and offshore support company, Seaforth Maritime aquired the properties and began refurbishment work to convert the warehouses to office space.



John Wood's Map of 1821. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1866-1868); Chapman and Riley, 'The City and Royal Burgh of Aberdeen' Survey and Plan (1949) p.147

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLARENCE STREET AND LIMESTREET WAREHOUSE AT CORNER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 09:02