Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

INVERMARK LODGE KENNELS WITH EAST AND WEST BOTHIESLB50719

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
14/11/2006
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Lochlee
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NO 43135 80297
Coordinates
343135, 780297

Description

Probably later 19th century. Single storey range of 6 kennels with large dog runs in front and small gabled cottages adjoining each end at right angles, forming shallow H-plan. Roughly-dressed granite with granite ashlar dressings and stugged sandstone ashlar boundary walls to dog runs. Long and short quoins and window margins; slightly projecting window cills.

FURTHER DETAILS: long central range with timber-boarded door to each kennel on front (S) elevation; rooflights to both elevations; dog runs to S with cast-iron railings and gates set in with saddle-coped boundary wall. 3-bay E Bothy with central 2-leaf timber-boarded door, flanking windows and gablehead stacks. 2 central doors to W Bothy with flanking windows.

Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Coped stacks with various clay cans. Purple slate roof with stone ridge tiles.

Statement of Special Interest

A good and little-altered Victorian kennel situated prominently in a picturesque setting near the E end of Loch Lee. Invermark Lodge was built in 1847 and as it was built as a shooting lodge the kennels are likely to have been built relatively soon afterwards, although they do not appear on the 1st edition OS map. The East Bothy is a 2 room cottage; the West Bothy contains a 1-room cottage with a boiler room (now used as a store) on the left-hand side. To the N of the kennel a small triangular wellhead with ashlar skews sits at ground level.

References

Bibliography

Shown on 2nd edition OS map (1900). Buildings at Kirkton of Invermark (plan drawn for insurance purposes), 1926 at National Archives, ref RHP 86294/29.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERMARK LODGE KENNELS WITH EAST AND WEST BOTHIES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 08:54