Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NS 45712 89224
245712, 689224


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

This summer house, and 3 associated footbridges, likely to have been built in the early 19th century for the Duke of Montrose, form a landscape feature known as the 'Cascade Walk' along a picturesque wooded section of the Doghouse Burn. They interesting examples of 19th century garden building architecture. The policies of Buchanan Castle are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland (Vol. 4, 291).


Positioned on the N bank of the burn, just below a small waterfall, the summer house is a small square-plan, single room building with a large round-arched opening to the gabled S elevation, allowing people to sit within and view the burn. The roof is barrel-vaulted within, but follows a slated pitched form (in bad condition) on the exterior. The summerhouse is built of random rubble; the S gable has an overhanging stone 'eaves' detail.

3 Bridges:

Located downstream at intervals along the burn between the summerhouse, and the Duchess Bridge (see separate listing), 3 small rustic hump-backed footbridges crossing the burn, each built of rubble with a single segmental span.

Statement of Special Interest

The burn used to be dammed upriver from the summerhouse, so that when the Duchess or Duke visited it, they could order the factor to release the dammed water to create a more spectacular cascade. Much of the dam structure remains.

An estate record dated 1817-18 (GD220/6/88) refers to a bridge to be built 'with rough stone like that in the Cascade Walk.

Buchanan Castle Estate was held the Buchanans from the 13th century until it was bought by the 3rd Marquis (later Duke) in 1682. In 1724 the earlier dwelling was demolished and a large new house constructed. Over the next 130 years, the house and its surrounding estate underwent several periods of alteration and development, culminating in the construction of Buchanan Castle in 1852.



1st edition OS map, 1858-63; Gifford, J. and Walker, F.A., Buildings of Scotland: Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002), 290; National Archives of Scotland, GD220/6/88.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BUCHANAN CASTLE ESTATE, SUMMERHOUSE AND 3 BRIDGES ALONG CASCADE WALK,

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 04:08