Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BOTHWELL ROAD, GATEPIERS TO SEWAGE WORKSLB50181

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/11/2005
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Hamilton
NGR
NS 71174 57644
Coordinates
271174, 657644

Description

Earlier 19th century. 2 sets of rusticated and tooled pink sandstone ashlar gatepiers with linking quadrant walls sited at former entrance to Hamilton Palace estate, bearing motifs from the Hamilton coat of arms. Built on ground falling to N

MAIN (CENTRAL) PIERS: Greek-cross plan, base couse; string course; frieze with triglyphs at corners and Hamilton family motifs to metopes (five-pointed star, fleur-de-lys and rose); modillions to over-hanging cornice with 2 lion masks to each side; scrolled panels to truncated pyramidal cap.

OUTER PIERS: slimmer square-plan piers with identical decoration.

QUADRANT WALLS: stugged pink sandstone ashlar with cavetto moulding below square cope.

Statement of Special Interest

A handsome set of gatepiers at one of the former entrances to the Hamilton Palace Estate. Hamilton Palace, which was demolished in the 1920s, was one of the most important country houses in Scotland and these gatepiers are one of a very few remaining structures on its former estate. They were probably erected by the 10th Duke of Hamilton who carried out a massive programme of remodelling the Palace from 1822. The gatepiers now stand at the entrance to Bothwell Sewage works, and occupy a prominent position on the B7071, just South of Bothwell Bridge.

The 1st Edition OS maps show both gateposts and quadrants with an adjacent lodge. The Hamilton Estate plans also show a road and lodge / gatehouse here. A five-pointed star appears on the Hamilton family coat of arms, as does the fleur-de-lys motif, the latter especially in connection with Abercorn, Sundrum, Barnes and Grange Hill.

References

Bibliography

1835 Duke pf Hamilton Estate Plans (Hamilton Central Library, Central Studies); appears on the 1st Edition OS map, 1862. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, THE COUNTY OF LANARK, (1951), p375.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOTHWELL ROAD, GATEPIERS TO SEWAGE WORKS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 23:30