Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

210 AND 212 KING STREET AND 32 ST ANDREW STREETLB50164

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/10/2005
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Burgh
Castle Douglas
NGR
NX 76308 62193
Coordinates
276308, 562193

Description

W F Valentine, 1934-5. 2-storey, roughly square-plan tenement building on corner site at heart of Castle Douglas with very prominent, tall 5-stage octagonal clock tower at corner surmounted by ogee dome supported on thin Doric columns. Coursed granite with polished red sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course, deep cornices over fascias and at eaves; parapet; bracketed eaves cornice to tower; long and short quoins and window margins; stone-mullioned windows to 1st floor flats.

FURTHER DETAILS: shops to NE and SE elevations with original plate glass shop fronts with leaded-light strips above, glazed timber doors and black and white tiled steps; tripartite window above to NE elevation; 2 bipartite windows above to SE elevation. Clock tower slightly recessed between shops at corner with half-glazed timber-panelled door at ground and narrow lights at various stages; octagonal clock faces with Roman numerals to top stage; leaded ogee dome supported on pairs of Doric columns; weather-vane finial.

Timber sash and case windows with plate glass to lower sashes and small-pane glazing to upper sashes. Rendered stacks with yellow clay cans. Slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles.

Statement of Special Interest

This building is prominently situated in the heart of Castle Douglas at the junction of two of the main roads into the town. Its height makes it a local landmark and it is particularly visible from both ends of King Street. The clock tower is badly proportioned, but the building has been little altered externally and still retains its original glazing and both 1930s shop fronts, which is unusual. It was built as a replacement for the old Town House's steeple, which had been destroyed in a fire. It does not, despite appearances, seem to have been intended as a public building, as Castle Douglas already had another Town Hall. A bronze plaque at the ground floor of the tower is inscribed: 'The clock in this tower is the gift of Henry J Hewat of Paterson, New Jersey, USA and Castle Douglas. 6th May 1935'.

William Forrest Valentine (1885-1957) was based in Kilmarnock, where he built the Masonic Lodge on London Road and a number of other buildings. He was also the architect of many Co-op buildings across Ayrshire.

References

Bibliography

John Gifford, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY, p172.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 210 AND 212 KING STREET AND 32 ST ANDREW STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 09/08/2022 08:36